CAMRIS International’s USAID Nepal Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Project supports the achievement of USAID/Nepal’s Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS) development objectives by assisting the Mission in planning, designing, conducting, disseminating and learning from more rigorous monitoring and evaluation of development activities. This includes designing and implementing both quantitative and qualitative evaluations and assessments, as well as providing expert analysis and technical assistance to USAID/Nepal’s programs.
CAMRIS seeks a team leader to lead the study’s design, instrument development, data collection, analysis, and dissemination and work closely with Nepal’s Family Health Division (FHD) and its Family Planning (FP) subcommittee, and with USAID throughout.
Use of the emergency contraceptive pill (ECP) has increased dramatically in Nepal in recent years, and data evaluating Nepalese ECP practices are limited. The Emergency Contraceptive Study aims to provide data on the growing trend of ECs in Nepal, and especially evaluate knowledge, attitudes, utilization patterns of ECs, and their effectiveness in preventing unwanted pregnancies in Nepal. The objectives of this study are, therefore, to assess:
- Knowledge and attitude on emergency contraceptive among 15-49 year old females and adult and adolescent males in Nepal
- Availability and access to public/private brands of emergency contraceptive
- Prevalence of emergency contraceptive use among 15-49 year old females
- Effectiveness of emergency contraceptive in averting unwanted pregnancies among users in Nepal
The study will use mixed methodology including household and exit surveys, and key informant and focus group interviews. Data collection will take place in urban, semi-urban, and rural areas of selected districts from all three ecological zones - hills, mountains and terai. Development of survey instruments will be in consultation with USAID and FHD.
- Provide technical guidance and strategic support to the evaluation team, including establishing control and treatment groups and an effective sampling strategy.
- Provide oversight and management of the evaluation team, delegating tasks as appropriate.
- Lead the process of drafting and finalizing the evaluation study design, evaluation work plan, data collection tools, evaluation briefing(s) and the evaluation report.
- Steer effective communication with the A/CORs, relevant USAID Nepal, FHD and government of Nepal staff as well as external stakeholders.
- Code and analyze qualitative data.
- Coordinate closely with CAMRIS Kathmandu and headquarters staff.
- Ensure quality and timely delivery of all work products.
- An advanced university degree, PhD preferred, in public health in the area of reproductive health, or a similar field.
- Minimum of 10 years experience leading mixed methodology assessments, including extensive experience in quantitative and qualitative research methodologies and analysis.
- Demonstrated experience leading research studies concerning sensitive subject matter in accordance with institutional review board and good evaluation ethics.
- Strong knowledge of USAID Family Planning and Reproductive Health projects and policies.
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills.
- Ability to coordinate and communicate effectively with diverse team members and staff across time zones
- Familiarity with USAID policies related to evaluation and performance management highly desirable, including experience creating and managing USAID M&E plans.
- Excellent written and oral communication in English required.
About the Organization
CAMRIS International is a growing international development and research firm that realizes innovative solutions to health and development challenges through high-quality, cost-effective program and research management services. With experience working in more than 80 countries, we combine our proven systems with today’s most effective, evidence-based best practices to improve the lives of people around the world. We apply a customized, customer-centric, cost-effective business approach to offer greater value to our clients and challenge the way things have always been done in our field.