Natural Resource Management
Job Opportunity: Team Leader (Long-Term Expert)
Project Status: Prequalification
Project Title: Conservation and Sustainable Use of Biodiversity in Priority Protected Areas in Ethiopia
Duration of assignment: 4 years (1st June 2018 – 30th April 2022)
Duty Station: Addis Abeba, with frequent travels to the three selected protected areas
The project “Conservation and Sustainable Use of Biodiversity” supports selected three priority protected areas in Ethiopia, namely Bale Mountain National Park (BMNP), Simien Mountain National Park (SNMP) and Halleydeghi Asebot Proposed National Park (HPNP). The purpose of the project is to effectively manage priority protected areas in collaboration and partnership with the local communities and other stakeholders.
This is to sustainably conserve the biodiversity and landscapes of these protected areas and thus contribute to the conservation and the sustainable use of biodiversity and to the improved livelihood of the local population and economic development of the country.
The main project measures include:
- Protected area management;
- Infrastructure development and equipment for three protected areas;
- Sustainable Land Management / settlement policies
- Implication of local communities in protected area management, and tourism development;
- Socio-economic and rural development in surrounding communities
The Team Leader: Conservation and Sustainable Use of Biodiversity will be responsible for the day to day management of the project with the purpose to achieve the project objectives. He/she will assist the Ethiopian Wildlife Conservation Authority (EWCA) in project management and administration according to KfW standards. This include:
- Overall coordination of the project activities in close cooperation with EWCA;
- Financial management including the management of KfW disposition fund;
- Planning, Monitoring, and Evaluation of project activities;
- Effective management of protected areas in collaboration with various stakeholders;
- Design and supervision of infrastructure development measures in protected areas;
- Planning and implementation of livelihood restauration, sustainable land management, and tourism development measures;
- Reporting and quality assurance of activities and investments.
- Master´s Degree in nature conservation, protected area management, wildlife management, tropical forestry, tropical ecology, agricultural sciences, or any related fields;
- At least 15 years of working experience as adviser in biodiversity conservation, protected area management, or natural resource management sector;
- At least 10 years of proven track as Team Leader in long-term assignments;
- Experience in the management of disposition fund and specific knowledge of KfW procedures;
- Excellent knowledge in planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluation of financial cooperation projects;
- Experience in infrastructure development and equipment for protected areas;
- Strong experience in livelihoods restauration, sustainable land management/settlement policies, and ecotourism development in protected areas;
- Excellent written and communication skills and full proficiency in English;
- Experience in similar projects in Eastern Africa/horn of Africa will be considered as an advantage.
Interested candidates should send their complete application (cover letter, CV) only by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We regret that we can only reply to applications which meet the requirements as set out in the job description. Thank you for your understanding.