Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organisation operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organisation’s business area - GIZ International Services - is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients.
GIZ International Services is shortlisted for an EU-funded project: “EU-Canada Policy Dialogues Support Facility”.
The overall objective of this action is to contribute to strengthening and further enlarging the strategic partnership between the EU and Canada.
Its specific objectives are to support dialogue in specific priority areas and to support the implementation of the EU-Canada SPA and, where appropriate, CETA, but also other relevant agreements concluded between the EU and the Canadian Government.
The purpose of this contract is as follows:
To provide the EU and Canada with adequate, timely and professionally competent technical assistance for the implementation of the “EU- Canada Policy Dialogues Support Facility”, through consultancy in specialized areas and logistics support, ensuring that activities are programmed and implemented in an efficient and effective manner and that foreseen results are achieved contributing to the realization of the overall objective.
The Team Leader (TL) essentially performs advisory functions in the planning, monitoring, implementation and evaluation of project activities itself. In order to ensure successful implementation of the project, close relationship will need to be established between the Team Leader and the EU Delegation, EEAS and relevant Commission Services and the Canadian stakeholders.
The main tasks assigned to the team leader are (not exhaustive list):
- Overall responsibility for the management of the project with the support of the Junior Experts;
- Monitor the implementation of the various activities;
- Maintain close cooperation with various Canadian and European actors involved in the various sector dialogues;
- Strategic planning and programming of the activities (chronogram of the implementation);
- Preparation of the Steering Committee meetings.
The TL should submit to the EU Delegation a semi-annual report that includes an overview of the evolution of policy dialogues that are part of SPA and CETA in the period, as well as a summary of the progress of project activities.
Qualifications and skills
- University degree, with at least a postgraduate degree (or equivalent); in areas relevant to the job (i.e. International Relation, Political Sciences, Economics, Law)
- Excellent team management skills;
- Good communication and facilitation skills;
- Fluency in French and English;
- Strong analytical skill and computer literacy;
- Excellent English and French drafting skills;
- Strong knowledge of EU procedures.
General professional experience
- Preferably 10 years of general professional experience;
- A minimum of 5 years of working experience in project management.
Specific professional experience
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in project management preferably overseas;
- Working experience in international cooperation projects in Canada is an advantage
The operational base for the project (project office) will be in Ottawa. The place of implementation for each individual activity will be defined in the specific Terms of Reference of the approved actions.
It is foreseen that the activities will be carried out in Canada and in the Member States of the European Union. Exceptionally, activities in other countries may be undertaken, when duly justified and approved by the EU delegation.
The intended start date is 01/02/2019 and the period of implementation of the contract will be 36 months from this date.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Please send us an updated CV in EuropeAid format in English.