For a project in Mongolia (tender stage) we are currently searching for an Expert for the Position as Team Leader / Urban Planner / Urban Development Engineer (technical expertise)
The project is about:
The Ulaanbaatar Green Affordable Housing and Resilient Urban Renewal Project (AHURP) aims to bridge current gaps in climate responsive urban development and green affordable housing. The objective of the project is to transform the highly climate-vulnerable and heavily polluting peri-urban areas of Ulaanbaatar (ger areas) into low-carbon, climate resilient and affordable eco-districts. The project is a large-scale demonstration initiative that will leverage private sector investment to deliver affordable and green housing stock, and redevelop ger areas into urban areas that are resilient to climate change, contribute to decreased air and soil pollution, and will provide liveable urban environment for the ger area residents.
The physical component will deliver 10,000 green housing units that are energy efficient, affordable, and designed to maximize the use of renewable energy and redevelop 100 hectares of ger areas into eco-districts characterized as (i) low-carbon, climate resilient, and resource efficient; (ii) mixed-use with ample public space and public facilities; and (iii) mixed-income with about 70% of combined affordable and social affordable housing units. It will use a financing strategy that blends public and private resources, with targeted subsidy and sustainable mechanisms to address the need to accelerate the delivery of green affordable housing within the framework of a more climate resilient urban development.
Impacts and outcome. The project is aligned with the following impacts: living conditions in Mongolia improved; and Ulaanbaatar is a safe, healthy, and green city that is resilient to climate change, and provides a livable environment for its residents. The project will have the following outcome: access to low-carbon and climate-resilient eco-districts and green affordable housing in Ulaanbaatar ger areas increased. The project is consistent with ADB’s country partnership strategy for Mongolia, 2017–2020, and with the core themes of green, competitive, and inclusive cities of ADB’s Urban Operational Plan.
Outputs. The project outputs are:
(i) Output 1: Resilient urban infrastructure, public facilities, and social housing units built in ger areas.
(ii) Output 2: Low carbon affordable and market housing units and economic facilities built in ger areas.
(iii) Output 3: Policy environment and sector capacity strengthened.
Input: 27 Month in Mongolia over a project period of 66 months
Ideally regional residency
- Urban Planner or related qualification with architectural experience; alternatively architect with urban planning specialization
- Urban and housing policy-experience
- Conversant in elaboration of feasibility studies, preliminary and detailed urban and architectural designs
- Familiar with drafting development strategies
- Understanding of Technical and design solutions
- Understanding of sustainable planning and building and low impact design
- Understanding of land management and land administrative processes and subject
- Understanding of urban governance and national and local governance procedures and requirements
- Understanding of municipal finance
- Experience in methods of community participation
- Experience in leading large and diverse teams
- Community centered, social understanding
- Ethically principalled
The requirements are as follows:
- At least Master Degree in the relevant field chartered with a recognized professional body
- 20 years of general professional experience incl. 15 years relevant experience for international consultant
- Vast experience in Urban Planning
- Working experience in developing countries, particularly on donor funded projects
- Mongolia and ABD experience preferred
- Familiarity with policies and procedures of Government of Mongolia and International Financial Institutions (preferable ADB)
- In-depth knowledge of the Eco-district and Green Building concept
- Good management, communication, inter personal and motivational skills
- Excellent English skills (report writing and communication skills)
- Ability to work closely and coordinate with international and national consultants
- Able to mentor team members, providing guidance and advice on project or technical-related matters and risk management procedures and providing capacity building training in various forms
- Proven experience in urban development, engineering design, construction< supervision and feasibility study
- Project management implementation and monitoring experience
- A good understanding regulations, certifications and schemes design to support eco-district and green building concept and green construction materials
- Literacy in CAD technology and 3-dimensional conceptual skills
- EDGE/LEED accreditation would be an advantage.
About the Organization
The future may seem remote to others, but it is very much present at Sweco. Our building service systems consultants are currently working on the indoor environment for a new hospital that will be admitting patients in five years’ time. Our traffic engineers are currently analysing a new underground metro line that will open to passengers in ten years.
Our architects are currently designing what will be a vibrant, dynamic new city district in around 15 years. It is Sweco’s job to be one step ahead. For most people, the results of our work become reality in the future.
You should come to Sweco with high expectations. We promise to be your most approachable and committed partner. It should be easy to work with Sweco, and we will make every effort to understand your needs better than anyone else does. We also promise to make sure you receive exactly the right expertise the situation calls for. Whatever challenge you’re facing, you can count on Sweco to solve it.
Sweco plans and designs the communities and cities of the future. The results of our work are sustainable buildings, efficient infrastructure and access to clean water.
With 16.000 employees in Northern Europe, we offer our customers the right expertise for every project. We carry out projects in 70 countries annually throughout the world. Sweco is Europe’s leading architecture and engineering consultancy, with sales of approximately SEK 18.7 billion (EUR 1.8 billion). The company is listed on NASDAQ OMX Stockholm AB.
Sweco is established in Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Estonia, Lithuania, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, the UK, Poland and Turkey.