Team Leader, Violence agaist Women and Girls
CowaterSogema International is preparing a tender for the DFID-funded Violence against Women and Girls Prevention and Response Programme.
The objective of the programme is to reduce the prevalence of violence against women and girls and improve the justice system for women and girls living with violence. It has three outcomes:
- Formal and informal justice services are accessible, responsive and accountable to women and children’s needs;
- People in target areas are less tolerant of violence and are more supportive of survivors;
- Individuals and local institutions use non-violent means to settle disputes and avoid harmful practices.
We are currently recruiting for the Team Leader position, to be based full-time in Malawi for 72 months.
The Team Leader will be responsible for managing a team of local and international experts selected to ensure the successful implementation of project activities across key project outputs. The Team Leader must have the capacity, influence and personal integrity to shape national policy implementation and the ability to hold their team and implementing partners accountable for good and timely performance, management of fiduciary risk, attention to VFM and continual improvement.
CowaterSogema International is Canada’s leading management consulting firm specialized in international development. With more than 30 years of experience, CowaterSogema has managed over 800 projects in more than 80 countries. We offer services at the policy, program and project levels, developing and managing major projects in water supply and sanitation, climate change mitigation and adaptation, renewable energy, and local governance across the globe. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017.
- Post-graduate degree or higher in social sciences or relevant field.
- At least 10 years of experience providing strategic and technical advice to multiple levels of government, civil society, and other stakeholders (including community-level stakeholders) on VAWG issues in a developing country context;
- Proven experience in programme leadership, management, planning, coordination of multiple stakeholders, preferably related to VAWG and access to care and support services for survivors of gender-based violence;
- Proven technical skills in the justice sector and/or VAWG programming, human rights (particularly relating to women and girls) and gender equality;
- Experience developing curricula and training packages on VAWG curricula and providing hands-on training; and,
- Sound knowledge of the measurement and communication of robust results and impact.
Highly Desirable Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to build partnerships with Government and key stakeholders and strengthening the capacity of community-based organisations (CBOs) on local level VAWG programming in Malawi or similar context;
- Experience of managing highly flexible and adaptive programmes with a strong evaluation and learning component;
- Familiarity with SASA and STAR (or similar) techniques with groups and/or couples that help to shift social norms/attitudes towards VAWG;
- Highly developed and effective public speaking, advocacy and public diplomacy skills;
- Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to produce timely, lucid and concise reports;
- Excellent inter-personal and liaison skills and experience in working in a cross-cultural setting;
- Fluency in written and spoken English; and,
- Shows political acumen and negotiation skills.
Preferred / Desirable Skills:
- Working knowledge of the Malawian context (social, cultural, and political context), particularly in relation to gender and VAWG; and
- Recent working experience in Malawi or neighbouring country in a similar position.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with CowaterSogema.
About the OrganizationCowaterSogema is a global leader in management consulting services, focusing on developing and emerging economies. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. As Canada’s largest international development consulting firm, CowaterSogema has developed a reputation of excellence for our strong ability to work with clients and stakeholders to provide leading-edge solutions and services tailored to the needs and challenges faced by developing and transitional countries. Our firm possesses internationally recognized and award-winning experience at the policy, program and project levels, developing and managing major projects as well as undertaking studies, sector reviews, evaluations, and training and communications activities.
CowaterSogema is a global company with its headquarters in Ottawa, Canada, an office in Montreal, Canada, an office in Pretoria, South Africa (CowaterSogema South Africa) and operations in Paris, France (CowaterSogema Europe). Additionally, the company currently operates project offices worldwide including in Burkina Faso, Mali, Malawi, Cameroon, South Sudan, Mozambique, Zambia, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Indonesia, Jordan, Peru, Honduras, Barbados etc.