ThinkWell seeks a Technical Advisor to play a critical role in Strategic Purchasing for Primary Health Care (SP4PHC), a five-year program supported by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation that supports countries to improve how funds are allocated to healthcare providers in order to achieve the goal of universal health coverage. ThinkWell is working with purchasers and policy makers in five countries (Indonesia, Philippines, Kenya, Burkina Faso, and Uganda) to design and test policy options to more effectively purchase primary health care services, with a focus on family planning and maternal, neonatal and child health.
The Technical Advisor will report to the Senior Health Financing Advisor and provide quantitative and qualitative data analysis to inform policies related to strategic purchasing.
This is a full-time position based in Jakarta, Indonesia. Please note: Indonesia nationals are encouraged to apply. This position includes a national benefits package and does not include international relocation or expatriate benefits.
- Provide direct technical assistance to ensure high quality program results and execution across projects in the area of specialization
- Contribute to work planning, coordinate across external partners and lead their engagement in collaborative projects
- Develop monitoring, evaluation, research and learning tools, indicators and plans
- Communicate with other ThinkWell technical advisors globally to build, share, exchange and disseminate technical knowledge
- Recruit, support and mentor team members in the area of technical specialty; potential dotted line management responsibility for technical team members
- Collaborate with the Well to design technical training and development activities that will support and build professional development
Organizational Leadership and Development
- Represent ThinkWell in work location, actively engage key stakeholders, cultivate new business partnerships and concepts
- Build project portfolio in technical specialty area in collaboration with Design Lab, program managers and other firm and country leaders.
- Collaborate with Design Lab to collect and pursue new business information and contacts
- Publish papers, articles and blogs. Present at conferences/participate in technical working groups on ThinkWell project-related technical innovations, priorities and results. Build ThinkWell reputation as a thought leader in the field.
- Consult and coordinate with key stakeholders within government, donors, and other entities to build ThinkWell program division and reputation
- Participate in company initiatives and teams to build intellectual and human capital in technical area of specialization
Conduct analyses across the system to build evidence base that informs policy
- Develop and manage (e.g. clean, sort, and update variables) large datasets such as NHA, IDHS, SUSENAS, and BPJS-K claims
- Prepare data for analysis, documenting the study protocol and upholding good research practices
- Analyze data and synthesize information, especially as it relates to strategic purchasing
- Conduct literature reviews related to current evaluations, studies, publications on midwifery practice, family planning practices, MNCH, and other topics as required
- Collect qualitative and quantitative data from BPJS-K, private midwives, MoH, National Population and Family Planning Board (BKKBN), and other partners
- In collaboration with the Senior Health Financing Advisor, undertake scenario development of strategic purchasing, payment models for private midwives, and primary health care to provide quality care for JKN members
- Prepare communications for policy and technical meetings or forums
Data Analysis for Learning Agenda and Knowledge Management
- Support data collection and synthesis for the learning agenda based on key evaluation and learning questions
- Synthesize M&E data for the learning agenda and to inform policy-oriented reports and analyses
- Liaise with the Deputy Director of Learning and participate in global learning agenda forums
- Contribute to the development of knowledge management systems
- Maintain project database of all data, information, reports, technical papers, and publications
- Draft policy reviews, policy briefs, national and international scientific publications
Technical Support and Pilot Implementation
- Contribute to the design of strategic purchasing pilots to test policy options at the district level
- Conduct field monitoring of pilots and liaise with an external third party to monitor and evaluate the pilot project
- Together with project partners, support the development of data management systems and ensure data quality for pilot projects
- Provide technical inputs and support the development of a private sector engagement strategy
- Provide technical support to the government and private sector partners as required
- Develop and maintain strong working relations with technical and management units in partner organizations (BPJS-K; MoH; BKKBN; IBI; Bappenas, District Health Offices and private sector agencies)
- Arranging interviews, discussions, and meetings with various stakeholders related to FP and MNCH and others as required
- Contribute to the development of strategic networks and partnerships to build the portfolio of ThinkWell Indonesia
ThinkWell core values are our fundamental organizational guiding principles. They define our corporate culture, influence our behavior at work and help us achieve our mission. Our values are:
Influence the conversation
Evolve by learning
ThinkWell core competencies are foundational skills and behaviors that align with our values and are expected of all employees.
An entrepreneurial, results-oriented ‘do-er’ with a willingness to take risk, think big and challenge conventional wisdom.
A change maker who reaches independent judgement with an open mind, influences the conversation, and seeks innovation.
Able to help create an empowering environment in which everyone feels free to take initiative, be accountable and fail intelligently (learn from mistakes).
A collaborative colleague who engages constructively with people from different cultures, orientations, and perspectives and maintains positive relations in a virtual world.
Principally motivated by a growth mindset, meaning the pursuit of knowledge, experience, and self-improvement. You always question and continuously learn.
Authentic, honest, direct, self-aware and open to giving and receiving feedback.
- BA/BS and 8+ years experience or graduate degree and 6+ years experience;
- Substantive, relevant work experience in data management, data analysis, health financing, and health policy in Indonesia;
- In-depth understanding of current and emerging health financing policy and systems reforms in Indonesia, especially in the areas of FP and MNCH;
- Demonstrated capacity to configure and analyze data, including from various large datasets such NHA, IDHS, SUSENAS, RISKASFAS, RISKASDES, and MNCH mortality and morbidity data;
- Adept at communicating technical information to non-technical audiences;
- Knowledge of strategic purchasing concepts, primary health care, and private sector engagement in JKN;
- Demonstrated interest and ability in growing staff, mentoring and coaching junior professionals;
- A senior leader, able to rally staff around ThinkWell’s mission and priorities;
- A thoughtful systems thinker with grounded, pragmatic understanding of the complexities of our work;
- Recognized as a leader in the area of technical specialty; strong professional network in the field;
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with external strategic partners, donors, and stakeholders;
- New business development, proposal writing and fundraising experience;
- Full English and Bahasa Indonesia fluency;
- Outstanding cross-cultural communication skills, including the ability to relate respectfully with staff at all levels, ages, genders, nationalities and orientations as well as across work areas;
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 20%
About the Organization
Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
ThinkWell is a growing, flexible health systems organization, with both global influence and local grounding. Our focus is on driving transformation in the global health space by always questioning and disrupting conventional wisdom about what works or what can or cannot be done. We believe in pragmatisms over ideology and develop solutions tailored to a client’s context and political realities without replicating global models and all-purpose solutions. We know that to drive change, we must focus on how the world could be, rather than making excuses for the status quo.