The Technical Advisor reports to the Program Director and provides technical expertise, analytical insights, and operational support for a key ThinkWell private sector client, and across a range of ThinkWell public or private sector projects, as needed. The Technical Advisor will have expertise in health financing and policy, including immunization financing, oncology financing, vaccine policy or related areas. S/he brings strong quantitative and qualitative skills as well as a solid understanding of health financing systems across a range of countries, to support public-private policy dialogues and engagements. The Technical Advisor typically serves as an individual contributor on a project team.
Program Design and Implementation
- Design analytical framework, methodology and approach, in order to lead the development of high-quality resources and tools, including documents on immunization financing, oncology financing, and related areas.
- Design and support implementation of health financing programs and engagements, grounded in health systems thinking and context.
- Lead analyses on health expenditure, including out-of-pocket spending, financial forecasting, benefit incidence analysis, resource tracking, and cost-effectiveness.
- Produce high quality written reports and presentations, including technical documents, project status reports, policy briefs, and publications for conferences and journals.
- Design workshops and prepare workshop materials, relevant for public and private sector stakeholders.
- Create graphics and visualizations of quantitative and qualitative data.
- Contribute to business development, including desk research, technical input, and proposal and concept note writing.
- Lead global research on a range of health financing issues, including oncology financing and immunization financing
- Conduct desk research including literature reviews, data mining and analysis on relevant technical and policy issues and effectively summarize findings.
- Data collection and analysis for country and regional research studies (with in-country experts).
- Provide quantitative data analysis across a range of subjects.
Project Reporting and Representation
- Draft or revise sections of client/donor reports and coordinate team member input.
- Represent ThinkWell with external partners, clients, donors or stakeholders at meetings and events.
Project Administration and Operations
- Coordinate project implementation with experts and stakeholders across multiple countries.
- Support a range of project administrative and operational responsibilities, including staff recruitment and training, communications, organizing meetings and workshops, coordinating travel, and drafting client correspondence.
ThinkWell core values are our fundamental organizational guiding principles. They define our corporate culture, influence our behavior at work and help us achieve our mission. Our values are:
Influence the conversation
Evolve by learning
ThinkWell core competencies are foundational skills and behaviors that align with our values and are expected of all employees.
An entrepreneurial, results-oriented ‘do-er’ with a willingness to take risk, think big and challenge conventional wisdom.
A change maker who reaches independent judgement with an open mind, influences the conversation, and seeks innovation.
Able to help create an empowering environment in which everyone feels free to take initiative, be accountable and fail intelligently (learn from mistakes).
A collaborative colleague who engages constructively with people from different cultures, orientations, and perspectives and maintains positive relations in a virtual world.
Principally motivated by a growth mindset, meaning the pursuit of knowledge, experience, and self-improvement. You always question and continuously learn.
Authentic, honest, direct, self-aware and open to giving and receiving feedback.
- Graduate degree and 6+ yrs exp in health economics, health financing, or related field;
- Relevant work experience in a management consulting firm, private health sector, bilateral or multilateral development agency, preferably with experience with multi-country research and program implementation;
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint required; proficiency in statistical analysis packages (e.g. STATA) preferred;
- Exceptional analytical, research and problem-solving capabilities; experience developing country profiles, regional research papers, and guidance/toolkits on health financing, including oncology financing;
- Established track record of preparing high-quality technical reports, policy briefing materials, and presentations;
- A thoughtful systems thinker with grounded, pragmatic understanding of the complexities of our work and country-level health systems and health financing issues;
- Tech savvy and skilled at visual display of data;
- Ability to work collaboratively within teams and independently, as needed, to deliver technical products;
- Demonstrated poise and professionalism in engaging with external partners, clients, donors, and stakeholders;
- Fluency in English;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to relate respectfully with staff at all levels, ages, genders, nationalities and orientations as well as across work areas;
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25%.
About the Organization
Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment? Most importantly, are you fed-up, even disgusted, with the status quo of foreign assistance in the health sector? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
ThinkWell is a growing, flexible health systems organization, with both global influence and local grounding. Our focus is on driving transformation in the global health space by always questioning and disrupting conventional wisdom about what works or what can or cannot be done.