The Technical Advisor II, Global Education, is a key technical position to support business growth and thought leadership in selected technical areas in the UK market. Primary responsibilities include pre-capture intelligence gathering, leading proposal strategy and design, leading the technical and operational aspects of proposal development, and providing thought leadership. The Global Education department includes programs and initiatives focused on primary, secondary and tertiary education with a strong focus of education in emergencies. This position is housed within the Global Education, Employment and Engagement (G3E) business unit within FHI 360.
This will be a dynamic position, one that will help shape and build a high visibility technical department within FHI 360. The TA II will be responsible for managing proposal development from start to finish including identifying proposal resource needs, mobilizing and motivating the proposal team, and being responsive to the procurement requirements. She or he will oversee project design, partnering strategies, key personnel recruitment, and coordinating internally with Cost & Pricing, Regional Offices, Human Resources, and Contract Management Services. This includes managing proposal budgets and working with Cost and Pricing to make good business decisions. She or he will consult with technical leads in this technical unit, and be familiar with the competitive environment for education. As Proposal Design Lead (PDL), the TA II staff member will develop or lead the development of competitive designs that meet the funder’s time, quality and cost expectations. She or he will ensure proposal milestones are being met, and timelines are being followed. She or he will write selected sections of proposals as needed, and will support other business development functions as needed. She or he will also be responsible for key aspects of thought leadership, including participating in conferences and other events, mapping and establishing partnership connections, and contributing to publications that enhance FHI 360’s visibility and technical capacity in the Education technical area.
- Helps develop win strategies and grow the business pipeline for the Department in the UK market
- Designs the plan for day-to-day operations of bids, including capture start-up and strategy development, and transitioning to full proposal development, and post-submission activities.
- Manages overall operation of the proposal team including planning, budget, and resource management.
- Incorporates lessons learned from previous opportunities, and establishes proposal process milestones.
- Serves as primary contact for development of proposals working with Technical Directors and Enterprise Services.
- Recommends innovations to improve the quality of bid preparations, troubleshoots, and problem solves as needed.
- Performs key thought leadership functions to enhance FHI 360’s visibility in Education, including participating in relevant sector and industry events, linking up and connecting the Global Education team with potential partners, contributing to internal and external publications that enhance FHI 360’s visibility and technical capacity in the Education technical area
- Coordinate and collaborate with other technical departments within G3E as well as with other technical areas (e.g. health) and regional offices within FHI 360
- Provide technical support in at least two one of the core education areas (primary, secondary and tertiary, education and emergencies, education in inclusion and gender)
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Ability to win new business with monetized past performance
- Technical knowledge of education, gender and inclusion, with experience preferred in MENA and/or sub-Saharan Africa.
- Deep understanding of the external funder environment, including previous experience developing proposals for DFID and other donors in education.
- General understanding or the ability to rapidly understand the organization’s structure, policies and practices, and internal stakeholders that need to be engaged during the proposal process.
- Strong diagnostic, analytical and problem-solving skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and peers in the organization and possibly externally.
- Strong communications and negotiation skills and ability to reach mutual points of agreement and benefit among peers and colleagues.
- Ability to mentor junior staff in the intricacies of /importance of an idea or plan of action and to gain their support or commitment.
- Ability to coordinate across a large organizational footprint
- Strong ability and track record in thought leadership, including publications related to education
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in International Development, Economics, Education, or Related Field. French or Spanish language skills preferred.
- Highly prefers 15 years of experience in international development. Typically requires 8-11 years of experience in education, health, behavioral, or social sciences or related field
- Strong preference for minimum 500M revenue generation.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, and spreadsheets required.
- Ability to manage teams, delegate tasks, effectively prioritizes own and workload of project team members.
- Displays effective communication skills (listening, oral, and written) and can communicate in the English language (oral, written).
- Possesses sound interpersonal skills, is flexible and adapts to changing situations.
- Articulate, professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive concise manner with staff.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English. Fluency in a second language preferred, especially French.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.