FHI 360 is seeking a qualified candidate for Technical Advisor – Sanitation and Market-Based Sanitation for the anticipated USAID DRC Rural and Peri-Urban Sanitation Activity. The DRC Rural and Peri-Urban Sanitation Activity is expected to expand market-based approaches and already demonstrated financing models to increase demand for improved sanitation services, strengthen the supply chain for sanitation products and services, and improve the enabling environment by building the capacity of existing service providers. The DRC Rural and Peri-Urban Sanitation Activity seeks to leverage ideas, capacity and resources from private sector entities to launch specific interventions aimed at developing the market for sanitation products and services, while retaining some accessory activities on household hygiene promotion, including potential support to open defecation free (ODF) campaigns and handwashing.
The Technical Advisor – Sanitation and Market-Based will be a dynamic force in the increase of market-based sanitation in DRC. The Technical Advisor will be responsible for technical leadership of the project. S/he will bring innovation and best practices in scaling up improved sanitation in peri-urban and rural communities to the project activities. S/he will also provide mentorship and oversight to project staff and project partners.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight for the planning and implementation of project activities.
- Manage and support technical staff and local and international STTAs to achieve goals and ensure completion of programs on schedule and within budget.
- Maintain a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts, implementing partners’ technical staff, and other FHI 360 departments and projects.
- Provide guidance, training, and mentorship to project team on different aspects related to their professional development and to achieve project goals.
- Work in collaboration with the rest of the project leadership team to ensure that activities are implemented on schedule and within budget.
- Contribute to the development of high-quality work plans, quarterly and annual reports, financial reports; and other reports as required by FHI 360 and the donor.
- Master’s degree in business, finance, economics, public health, engineering, or other relevant field.
- At least eight years of experience, with increasing technical and management responsibilities in related field, such as WASH, private sector engagement, financing, local governance, including experience with sanitation marketing and market-based sanitation.
- Extensive experience in Sub-Saharan Africa, preferably in DRC.
- Demonstrated ability to advise host country officials at the ministerial level as well as businesses, and create and maintain effective working relationships with international and local stakeholders, businesses, NGOs, sub-contractors, and U.S. Government agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a diverse technical team for activities of similar scale.
- Demonstrated excellent spoken and written communication and presentation skills, with fluency in English and French.
Availability of this position/employment is contingent upon the award to FHI 360, and selection of the final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research, technology, communication and social marketing — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
As we evolve to meet the challenges of the future, we stand committed to the principles that have guided our organization for the last 40+ years. Our work continues to be grounded in research and science, strengthened by partnerships and focused on building the capacity of individuals, communities and countries to succeed.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will never ask you for your career site username or password, and we will never request money, goods or services during the application, recruitment or employment process. If you have questions or concerns about correspondence from us, please email CareerCenterSupport@fhi360.org.