Banyan Global is a woman-owned small business and international development consulting firm committed to improving livelihoods through market approaches for a broad and lasting impact. The firm is headquartered in Washington, DC and has program operations and activities in over 15 countries around the world. Banyan Global operates within six practice areas: gender, youth, finance and investment, enterprise development, health, and evaluation and learning.
Banyan Global is the prime recipient of the Nigeria Health Workforce Management (HWM) Activity in Nigeria. The HWM Activity is a five-year task order to support the establishment of a cost-effective, well trained, and motivated health workforce, particularly in targeted rural and remote areas of Bauchi, Ebonyi, Kebbi, and Sokoto States and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). By its conclusion, HWM is expected to increase the production of new health workers competent to respond to current and future population health needs in these locations by 100,000; improve the distribution and skill mix of front-line workers to meet specific local demands; and strengthen the capacity of pre-service institutions to adopt and apply innovative education approaches. Targeted interventions will contribute to (1) improved management of maternal, child, and newborn health conditions and (2) increased responsiveness to community health needs. USAID will support the Government of Nigeria’s (GON’s) commitment to plan, recruit, train, manage, and retain its primary healthcare (PHC) workforce as the country advances on its journey to self-reliance (J2SR). HWM will contribute to the achievement of Nigeria Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS) Development Objective 2, a healthier, more educated population in targeted states and Intermediate Result (IR) 2.1 Utilization of quality health services in targeted areas and population groups increased.
The Technical Director is based in Abuja and reports to the Country Director. This position will work with the team to ensure that the project activities are of high quality and adhere to global standards, national policies, and best practices on human resources systems strengthening. The position will also ensure the adaptation and integration of emerging knowledge and innovative solutions within project activities.
- Provide technical leadership and strategy for the strengthening of human resources for health (HRH) management systems, including improving the development and implementation of State/local government area HRH plans; improving health workforce management; effectively utilizing HRH; strengthening academic health institutions; and advocating for an enabling HRH policy environment.
- Identify best practices in workforce performance management systems that improve productivity and retention of health staff.
- Support the integration and scaling up of best practices in workforce management.
- Oversee improvements to in-service training system and performance by supporting the GON in its stewardship role.
- Maintain strong results focus with partners, and provide regular technical input into, and support for, the implementation of work plans.
- Ensure project activities follow all award conditions and State-specific special provisions.
- Post-graduate degree in public health, health systems, health policy and planning, or other related field.
- Direct relevant experience in designing and implementing HRH programs in the areas of pre-service training, in-service training, human resource information systems (HRIS), HRH policy research and implementation, HRH leadership strengthening, HRH monitoring and evaluation (M&E), and HRH retention.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, oral, and written communications skills in English
- Demonstrated supervisory skills.
- Ability to work well on a team.
About the OrganizationBanyan Global is a small, women-owned development consulting firm, founded on the principle that integrating expertise and experience from the development community and private sector will achieve a broad and lasting impact. Through market-driven, business approaches, Banyan Global works with the private sector, civil society, and government to improve livelihoods, build markets, and promote efficient resource allocation in developing and transitional economies. Banyan Global operates seamlessly within four practice areas: health sector development, microfinance, enterprise development, and financial sector development. Gender is a cross-cutting area of expertise.
Banyan Global brings together a unique team of professionals with experience in international development and the private sector. Banyan Global provides advisory, policy, and regulatory services; program management; technical assistance and training; and research and evaluation. Banyan Global also provides niche expertise in gender and post-conflict. Banyan Global's clients include leading bilateral and multilateral donor agencies, regional development banks, foundations, not-for-profit organizations, business, and industry. Banyan Global holds a significant portfolio of subcontracts for USAID-funded work and has worked in more than 35 countries, serving clients in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East.
More Jobs from this Organization