The purpose of the USAID Health Reform Support Project (HRSP) is to support a transparent, accountable, and effective health care system that is capable of meeting the health needs of the Ukrainian people. Advancing health sector reforms, enhancing transparency, and tackling corruption will reduce out-of-pocket payments and improve access and availability of high quality, evidence-based health care services for Ukrainians.
Eliminating corruption is a cross-cutting theme across all objectives to be achieved by this activity, which include:
* Improve health sector governance.
* Support the transformation of the healthcare financing model.
* Strengthen the health workforce.
* Enhance transparency, accountability and responsiveness of the health care system.
* Improve service delivery system at all levels.
Palladium is specifically responsible for leading activities toward fostering effective health financing reforms and generating evidence for decision-making on health resources allocation and spending at all levels of the health system. Some examples of this include assisting the government in implementing primary healthcare reform, including the public health financing and the proposed capitation-based budgeting; support the people-centered health financing reform through support to the National Health Service of Ukraine, including contributing to the design of a reformed hospital payment system; assist the government in creating a Hospital Sector Master Plan, which rationalizes hospital numbers and management districts.
The Technical Director, Health Financing will provide technical leadership and guidance to the Ukraine project team during strategic planning and workplanning processes and project implementation of the project’s health financing response.
* Provide guidance, oversight, and quality assurance for all project activities, outputs, and deliverables related to designing and implementing a new health financing model in Ukraine. Support the Kyiv-based team to ensure project deliverables and achievements meet client and stakeholder expectations.
* Provide leadership for health financing technical strategies and activities, including conceptualizing new activities drawing upon emerging global trends and initiatives.
* Guides the project team to design and implement health financing aspects of the project, including health finance reform, strengthening capacity of national institutions, public finance management, costing, modeling, domestic resource generation, financial protection approaches and research.
* Supervise (either directly or indirectly) health finance team members to implement activities in the portfolio; in so doing, ensure activities are fully accomplished, meet expected technical quality standards.
* Contribute technical expertise to ensure project implementation, with a focus on results and financial accountability for all project activities related to health finance and health economics.
* Prepare briefs, reports, and analyses based upon project, client, and counterpart need.
* Maintain a strong working relationship with the project’s senior leadership team and provide input as needed on technical approach and direction.
* Develop strong working relationships and a regular dialogue on activity progress and challenges with Project staff in Kyiv and staff providing short-term technical assistance.
* Perform regular check-ins with the project team to promote quality performance and provide constructive feedback and mentorship in technical and management skills.
* Relevant educational experience in economics, public health, public policy, health administration, business administration, social sciences, or similar degree program
* Experience providing technical assistance at the national and subnational level on issues such as UHC, health financing, governance, health policy, using data for decisionmaking, capacity development of public sector, sustainability, planning, and equity.
* Experience implementing programs and providing technical assistance at the national and subnational levels in Eastern Europe, Central Asia, and/or OECD preferred.
* Experience working with public sector, private commercial sector, and NGOs in the health sector.
* Sound knowledge of approaches to strengthening the health system, which may include establishing new financing mechanisms, developing financial and contractual tools, conducting economic and other analyses to inform decisions.
* Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of low and middle income country health systems strengthening (HSS) environments, with a strong focus on health economics and financing.
* Demonstrated leadership capacity, strategic vision, and ability to effectively build and sustain positive working relationships and partnerships with donors, governments, and partners.
* Demonstrated expertise in strengthening health finance through social health insurance reforms, development and execution of economic analyses, domestic revenue generation, costing assessments, cost-effectiveness studies, expenditure surveys, and feasibility/ analyses for community-based and social health insurance or financial protection mechanisms.
* Proven experience providing mentorship and leadership to teams.
* Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Understanding of regulatory and financial framework of the health system in Ukraine is a plus.
* Spoken and written language proficiency in English required; spoken and written language proficiency in Ukrainian and/or Russian would be a plus, though not required.
About the Organization
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.