About the Angola programme:
MAG has been active in Angola for more than 20 years and is currently working in Moxico, one of the poorest, most marginalised provinces in Angola. Our focus is on removing socio-economic blockages for the population, currently undertaking traditional mine action work focusing almost entirely on the clearance of minefields. In the future, we also plan to develop small Arms Management and Destruction (AMD) projects. We are seeking to recruit a Technical Operations Manager to lead technical operations in Angola.
About the role:
As the senior technical representative in country, you will be responsible for leading and safely managing all mine clearance operations, as well as leading teams of national staff. To do this you will need to hold a recognisable EOD qualification and have extensive experience of planning and implementing efficient clearance operations in challenging environments, demonstrating and driving efficiency, innovation and value for money. Additionally, you will take the lead on MAG’s effort to establish an AMD operation along the Angolan border with DRC. Therefore, previous experience of planning and implementing efficient AMD activities in challenging environments would also be advantageous.
Working closely with and reporting to the Country Director, you will provide high quality technical input into proposals and reports, liaise with donors, and government agencies. As a member of the Programme Senior Management Team you will need to demonstrate considerable experience of working strategically and ensuring the quality and efficiency of MAG’s clearance work.
You will have excellent people and project management skills with the ability to coordinate, design, manage and report on activities simultaneously. Previous experience of working in a senior technical position within a similar organisation is essential. This is a demanding yet highly rewarding position that will be suited to a highly motivated, solution-focused and flexible manager. A patient, tactful and diplomatic approach will be required. The teams in Angola can be based in remote areas, working in challenging contexts away from home comforts. Therefore, you will need to be able to live and work in extremely challenging environments, where your skills and MAG’s work is needed most. Portuguese language skills would be highly desirable, but French or Spanish would also be beneficial.
MAG staff are rewarded with generous benefits:
- Salary: The total salary package for this position is £71,612 - £79,568 per annum. Please see the general information in the candidates pack for full terms and conditions related to this.
- Accommodation: MAG will provide accommodation in-country.
- Leave: We recognise our staff work hard and need the appropriate time out to stay motivated. You’ll have a minimum of six weeks out of the programme per year, rising to eight with service.
- Flights: MAG provides three international flights home per year.
- Insurance: All international staff are automatically covered by MAG’s comprehensive insurance package including: Personal accident and medical expenses insurance; Death by natural causes insurance and access to 24-hour medical assistance including evacuation and repatriation.
How to Apply
For further information about this opportunity, as well as the application form, please download the candidate information pack, below:
Candidate Information Pack - Technical Operations Manager, Angola
Please return the application form to email@example.com by the closing date of 25 March 2018. Due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are not able to respond to every application. If you have not heard back from us within 3 weeks of applying, it means that your application has not been successful.