Job DescriptionTechnical Specialist; Afghanistan Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (AMELA) Contract; Kabul, Afghanistan
In March 2019, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) awarded a five-year Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning – AMELA to Management Systems International (MSI). Under AMELA MSI provides monitoring support, evaluations, assessments, and learning support services to USAID / Afghanistan. These services provide evidence-based data and information and high-quality analysis that USAID program managers use to target resources and inform project design and implementation to improve project results and achieve objectives.
All Children Reading
ACR is a USAID-funded primary education initiative designed to improve equitable access to education and generate measurable improvements in reading outcomes for girls and boys in Afghanistan. ACR supports education service delivery through building the capacity of the Ministry of Education (MoE) of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GIRoA) to provide an evidence-based early grade reading (EGR) program (in Dari and Pashto) for students in Grades 1 to 3 in both formal and Community-Based Education (CBE) schools. Strengthened skills, systems, models and materials also enable future development of additional local mother-tongue languages into the national reading curriculum.
USAID/ Afghanistan Office of Education (OED) is interested to ensure such improvements happened in ACR intervention schools and CBE classes; that the capacity of teachers, school principals/headmaster was enhanced through attending regular teacher training; and EGR materials used properly in the teaching and learning process. It is worth mentioning that this evaluation will help USAID to better understand the issues, challenges and success of the program.
MSI is currently seeking an experienced Technical Specialist to assist conducting the performance evaluation of the ACR Activity. Under the direction of the Chief of Party, Permanent Evaluation Team Lead, the ACR Technical Specialist will assist the Team Lead in the design of an evaluation plan, crafting data collection instruments, assist in data collection, and then help in the drafting of the evaluation report.
- Assist the evaluation team lead with technical expertise and knowledge so that the evaluation is undertaken as prescribed by USAID and MSI in the task SOW.
- Assist the team lead in the delivery of key deliverables as described in the SOW, such as evaluation plans, and final reports.
- Work under the direction of the AMELA Senior Evaluation Lead, and other senior AMELA leadership to ensure high quality technical work, and adherence to the SOW.
- Provide technical guidance to the staff, consultants and other partners brought on board to support this activity under the AMELA contract.
- Assist and as needed lead the assignment design process. Assist and as needed lead in the drafting of design documents.
- Assist the Team Lead and assignment manager in liaising with USAID / Afghanistan, and the commissioning technical Office.
- Support the Project team and USAID to establish and maintain productive collaborative relationships with a wide range of partners and stakeholders
- Facilitate, participate in, and contribute to technical and coordination meetings, workshops, learning platforms, capacity building exercises, and other events
- Provide technical leadership and oversight during the various phases of the assignment, such as data collection, data analysis and report drafting.
- Assist in presentations and dissemination efforts as needed.
- Assist AMELA staff as needed in project management.
- 10+ years of relevant international development experience required in some or all of the following areas: research, evaluation and assessment of Education initiatives; stakeholder facilitation; and international development program evaluation.
- Experience working in Afghanistan or similar development environments.
- Experience in early grade reading programming or EGRA assessment is desired.
- A record of delivering high quality reports to USAID and other donors.
- Experience designing and completing high quality evaluations, which may include rigorous mixed-methods evaluation, desirable.
- PhD or Masters degree in International Development, statistics, or similar field, desirable.
- Experience working with USAID and/or other international donors, preferred.
- Exceptional English-language written and oral communication skills, required.
Candidates that have a real or potential conflict of interest in this monitoring will not be considered. MSI will require a written statement to this effect before formal engagement on this assignment. Conflict of interest in this context includes, but is not limited to: close and/or family relations with the individuals that are related to the project, financial interest in the implementing organization(s) or grantees, current or previous experience with the project being monitored or the USAID requesting office, etc.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com
About the Organization
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.