Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded PMI VectorLink Project. VectorLink will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 24 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the Entomology Technical Manager provides leadership and management oversight of all of the project’s entomological surveillance activities in country, in collaboration with the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP), coordinate and oversee the project’s key entomological monitoring activities for integrated vector control and will guide key project and country-level vector control decisions based on data analysis and interpretation.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Leads the development of national entomological monitoring plan in collaboration with National Malaria Control Program (NMCP), in country malaria vector control partners, research institutes, universities and private sector involved in malaria vector control
- Prepares project comprehensive annual entomological monitoring plan
- Reviews the content of communications materials for technical accuracy
- Coordinates the implementation of the following set of entomological activities:
- The establishment entomological sentinel sites in selected districts
- Monitoring vector density and behavior pre- and post-deployment of vector control interventions using World Health Organization (WHO) standard mosquito sampling methods
- Conducting wall bioassays within two weeks after every spray cycle and on new insecticide treated mosquito nets (ITNs) before distribution to evaluate the quality spray and products
- Conducting monthly wall bioassays in selected districts to evaluate the residual efficacy of sprayed insecticides and bi-annually to evaluate insecticidal activity of ITNs
- Monitoring vector susceptibility tests to currently use and candidate insecticides on annual basis
- Conducting intensity and synergist assays in sentinel sites selected for insecticide resistance monitoring
- Work with identified entomology laboratories to facilitate the work and obtain result of molecular and bio-chemical analysis data
- Assist in developing and updating standard operating procedures (SOPs) and checklists for mosquito collection techniques and disseminating to all in country partners.
- Ensures availability of susceptible mosquito colony to support quality assurance susceptibility testing in country
- Involves and leads the vector control (VC) technical working group at national level to help develop vector control policy and an insecticide resistance management strategy and plan
- Trains entomology technicians on maintaining mosquito colonies in an insectary, different field mosquito sampling techniques for both adult and larvae, on species identification, preserving, storing and transport of mosquito samples from the field to the insectary or entomological working sites
- Ensures that the field teams follow all WHO, CDC and PMI approved guidelines, protocols, and techniques for mosquito collections and tests.
- Ensures that all data from all collection activities are recorded on data entry forms, perform mosquito identifications, and undertake data analysis and prepare monitoring reports
- Implements capacity-building efforts to increase and expand the skills of local counterparts and field team technicians
- Prepares semi-annual and annual entomological monitoring reports, vector control products and delivery of quality assurance reports and insecticide resistance reports
- Involved in vector control operational research activities
- Publishes results from regular entomological monitoring and operational research activities in peer-reviewed journals
- Prepares and presents abstracts in international vector control and scientific conferences
- Initiates international entomology supplies requests
- Master’s degree in Entomology, Public Health, Environmental Health, or other relevant field
- Relevant professional work experience with significant amounts of experience in entomology, vector control and IRS operations
- Experience in regulatory and operational aspects of insecticide use and management
- Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the input of other team members
- Strong management skills including planning of project tasks and budgets
- Demonstrated leadership and team work, producing high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and computer skills
- Experience with USAID and donor projects is highly desirable
- English language fluency
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.