Abt Associates seeks a U.S.-based Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), Operations for the anticipated USAID-funded Africa Trade and Investment Program (ATIP). ATIP will advance Prosper Africa’s goals to boost trade, increase investment, and support business-friendly policy reforms. Its team of transaction advisors will work closely with U.S. Embassy Deal Teams across Africa to identify and close deals. The program will complement the U.S. Government’s trade and investment tools through customized services – from business consulting and transaction facilitation to targeted policy interventions.
The program will have an office based in the Washington, D.C. area with regional offices supporting activities in West, East, and Southern Africa, and later North Africa. The program is a unique whole of government initiative, requiring coordination with USAID, Department of Commerce, State Department and others to complement the U.S. government’s trade and investment tools through regionally tailored services.
The DCOP, Operations will have primary responsibility for contractual, financial and administrative management for the project, supervision and oversight of all contractual, financial and administrative support staff, and establishment of the systems and procedures required to ensure compliance with USAID regulations and Abt policies. S/he will provide management support and oversight in the implementation of program activities in the areas of finance, human resources, administration, information technology and procurement.
The DCOP, Operations will be based in in Rockville, MD, and will report to the Chief of Party. This position is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the financial planning and analysis of country-level projects including forecasting and budget tracking; labor planning; and business profit and loss.
- Responsible for providing contract administration supervision of project teams in the U.S. and regional offices.
- Secure required information per FAR for preparing subcontract and consultant agreements, requisitions, material purchases, and provide project contract administration support as needed.
- Work closely in collaboration with corporate Contract Operations team to fulfill contract administration requirements.
- Oversee grants strategy for the project in coordination with the grants management team and site offices.
- Responsible for supervision of proposal costing and estimating. Reviews solicitations and prepare routine responses for proposals and buy-in activities. Analyze and/or highlight for further assessment unique RFP requirements, terms and conditions, pricing and proposal submission requirements.
- Oversee project compliance related to corporate policies of Abt Associates, USAID and U.S. Government contractual requirements.
- Serve as primary project liaison with Abt’s Human Resources Department on high level personnel issues, and support other staff as needed in recruitment and onboarding of staff, employee benefits tracking and administration, and assist in preparing consent requests for salary increases with home office project management staff. Oversees the hiring and termination processes for staff, working in collaboration with HR and the COP.
- Implements financial and administrative policies and procedures that meet project needs and corporate and client requirements.
- Develops and oversees systems for providing financial, human resources, and administrative support and oversight to partner regional teams.
- Oversees the timely issuance of sub-awards and contracts issued under the contract and procurement of commercial goods and commercial services.
- Oversees project grant and subcontract management activities of assigned project personnel.
- Oversees cost share within the project, if any.
- Develops, manages, and monitors project budgets, accurate financial reports, and projection of funding needs, in close coordination with Regional Operations Directors and other senior project staff.
- Manages and direct the startup, general operations, and closeout of the program.
- Manages the financial operations and financial reporting activities, providing guidance and technical assistance to project site teams.
- Creates and maintains financial reporting and tracking systems that provide basic data measurements on financial performance of project activities.
- Provides ongoing financial administration to the project, including the processing of approvals for procurements, consultant agreements, and vendor invoices.
- Works with the Chief of Party to liaise with USAID on finance and administrative issues.
- Participates in negotiations with USAID on contract issues and actions and follow up on donor requests and concerns.
- Leads U.S.-based procurement efforts for the project, including the selection and negotiation with vendors, and the management of subcontractors on the project. Works with Site offices to ensure their compliance with procurement processes.
- Develops and implements accounting and reporting systems for project expenditures and provide guidance and training to project staff and partners on financial and compliance procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or a related field and at least 16 years of experience leading administration (reporting, financial management, and compliance) for large-scale ($50+ million) international development programs with at least five of those years managing F&A for USAID programs.
- Experience on a global project managing finance, grants under contract (GUC), administration and operations for multi-country offices and/or activities.
- Expertise in USAID Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).
- Substantial experience in financial and award management of USG grants and agreements.
- Proficiency in English required; additionally, proficiency in French, highly preferred.
- MA degree - ideally in public administration, business administration, international development or a related area. Minimum 16 yrs programmatic experience (at least 5 of which must be) in the management of complex, large geographically dispersed, regional or global programs working in developing countries and with USAID contracts
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.