Abt Associates seeks a qualified U.S. Investment Director., for the anticipated USAID-funded Africa Trade and Investment Program (ATIP). ATIP will advance Prosper Africa’s goals to boost trade, increase investment, and support business-friendly policy reforms. Its team of transaction advisors will work closely with U.S. Embassy Deal Teams across Africa to identify and close deals. The program will complement the U.S. Government’s trade and investment tools through customized services – from business consulting and transaction facilitation to targeted policy interventions.
The program will have an office based in the Washington, DC area with regional offices supporting activities in West, East, and Southern Africa, and later North Africa. The program is a unique whole of government initiative, requiring coordination with USAID, Department of Commerce, State Department and others to complement the U.S. government’s trade and investment tools through regionally tailored services. The US Trade and Investment Senior Director will be based in the Washington, D.C. area and will report to the ATIP Chief of Party
The U.S. Investment Director will manage the implementation of project activities, manage US-based technical project staff, coordinate with partner organizations, and serve as the project liaison to all US government agencies that are participating in the Prosper Africa Initiative. S/he will establish and maintain systems for project operations and will identify, develop, and facilitate working relationships with potential US-based trade and investment partners in the private sector. The U.S. Investment Director will develop partnerships with key private sector players and institutions to campaign and increase interest in trade with Africa. S/he will report to and work hand-in-hand with the ATIP COP to efficiently identify, develop, and facilitate deals between the US and Africa. This position will be located in Rockville, MD and is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and manage relationships with key project stakeholders including private sector firms and institutions, trade associations, USAID, US Government Agencies under the Prosper Africa Initiative, and other institutional and research partners under the project
- Lead the planning of project milestones and high-level goals in coordination with USAID, assist in the development of annual planning and timely, high quality implementation of activities and deliverables
- Represent ATIP with private sector institutions to promote interest in trade with Africa, present on potential opportunities for investment and trade
- Lead the strategy, and assist in the development of project communications, including public relations campaigns, targeted campaigns for the private sector represented in the Washington DC area and elsewhere in the US, and the development of successes stories especially as they relate to USAID Washington and Prosper Africa supporting agencies, working in coordination with the ATIP Communications Director
- Serve as lead technical advisor providing guidance and oversight to staff focused on increased trade, increased investment, and/or improved business environment
- Manage coordination with the Africa-based project teams to ensure efficient facilitation of trade and investment deals, including the preparation and implementation of trade delegations and other events to promote opportunities between and among the US and African countries
- Oversee the management of information systems around the Project’s objectives and results, including the establishment of a knowledge management framework to disseminate learnings
- MBA or a Master’s degree in trade, international business, economics, or related field is required
- At least 15 years of progressively responsible experience in one or several of the following technical sectors: trade, international value chain strengthening, access to finance; market systems; small and medium enterprise development growth; business enabling environment; and business development
- Experience identifying and facilitating business-to-business linkages and promoting investment and trade deals is required
- Experience with trade and investment in Africa is required, especially in brokering and developing tailored financial products to support increased investments
- Management experience within a US government agency focused on trade, investment, or business linkages is preferred
- At least 10 years of experience in a managerial or leadership role is required
- Fluency in English is required, proficiency with French or Arabic is a plus
- MA/MBA (15+) years of experience OR PhD (10 - 15) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.