Abt Associates seeks a U.S.-based Subcontracts Operations Manager for the anticipated USAID-funded Africa Trade and Investment Program (ATIP). ATIP will advance Prosper Africa’s goals to boost trade, increase investment, and support business-friendly policy reforms. Its team of transaction advisors will work closely with U.S. Embassy Deal Teams across Africa to identify and close deals. The program will complement the U.S. Government’s trade and investment tools through customized services – from business consulting and transaction facilitation to targeted policy interventions.
The program will have an office based in the Washington, D.C. area with regional offices supporting activities in West, East, and Southern Africa, and later North Africa. The program is a unique whole-of-government initiative, requiring coordination with USAID, Department of Commerce, Department of State, and others to complement the U.S. government’s trade and investment tools through regionally tailored services.
The U.S. Subcontracts Operations Manager will support the ATIP project’s regional offices in Ghana, Kenya, and South Africa. Reporting to the ATIP DCOP, Operations and working closely with the Regional Subcontracts Managers, the U.S. Subcontracts Manager will oversee the overall technical subcontracts program, and will have primary responsibility for: financial and administrative management for the subcontracts implemented for the project; supervision and oversight of the HQ subcontracts staff; and coordination and collaboration with Abt’s headquarters Contract & Procurement Department. In close coordination with the HQ Subcontracts team s/he will establish the systems and procedures required to ensure compliance with USAID regulations and in accordance with ATIP strategies and the existing Procurement Policies and Procedures already in place at Abt. Approximately 20% travel internationally is estimated.
This position will be located in Rockville, MD and is contingent upon award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Develops, in coordination with Contracts & Procurement team, guidance for subcontract management for ATIP, and procedures for subcontract finalization and approval, compliance issues, problem solving, and management issues.
- Oversees the implementation of the Activity’s technical subcontracts program that supports the technical implementation of the program, working with the Regional Subcontracts Managers, especially on large and complex subcontract actions.
- Works with Regional Subcontract Management staff, supports their activities to establish policies and procedures to engage with potential subcontractors needed to prepare and complete their cost and technical proposals during the RFP process to ensure compliance with USAID and Abt financial rules and regulations as they navigate the solicitation requirements.
- Ensures regional offices’ implementation of the Activity’s Subcontracts guidelines and policies, following all associated Abt and USAID procurement procedures and processes; oversees regional subcontracts administration, compliance and implementation procedures, and ensures compliance with USAID procurement regulations and local laws.
- As outlined/prepared in Abt’s Procurement Policies and Procedures and the International Site Accounting Manual, conducts review of threshold subcontracts solicitation and advertisements; works with regional staff to design and prepare review guidelines for evaluators, including scoring formats; procedures for convening subcontract review committee meetings; participates in negotiations with threshold offerors, prepares the negotiation memoranda and awards.
- Maintains and oversees the overall project subcontracts tracking system to ensure the timely and correct execution of all subcontracts and data tracking.
- Manages U.S.-based project-specific subcontracts staff, including hiring, performance monitoring, management of timeliness and quality of work product, and takes appropriate steps to ensure work is conducted to rigorous standards.
- Provides ongoing support to regional team leads to ensure subcontract execution in a timely manner.
- Collaborates with the M&E team to obtain and contribute to required monitoring data and to support ongoing learning; ensures use of project-required reporting tools and instruments by subcontractors.
- Reviews invoicing from threshold subcontractors and ensures that all payment requests are supported and justified by appropriate documentation and receipt of benchmark technical or other requirements approved by appropriate lead manager. Facilitates the technical approval and payment of subcontracts for work completed.
- Ensures a successful and compliant close-out of subcontract activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business or a relevant field and at least 10 years of experience managing USAID procurements and subcontracts
- Progressively challenging work experience in financial and contract management; experience working on global or multi-country programs preferred
- Minimum 5 years in a management role
- Knowledge of USAID rules and procedures required
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly, and work independently
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently
- Excellent writing, analytical and organizational skills
- BA degree - ideally in public administration, business administration, international development or a related area, MA preferred. 13 – 15 yrs programmatic experience (at least 3 yrs of which must be) in the management of complex, large programs working in developing countries on USAID or international donor projects
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.