Abt Associates seeks a qualified North Africa Regional Director for the anticipated USAID-funded Prosper Africa Trade and Investment Program (PATIP). PATIP will advance Prosper Africa’s goals to boost trade, increase investment, and support business-friendly policy reforms. Its team of transaction advisors will work closely with U.S. Embassy Deal Teams across Africa to identify and close deals. The program will complement the U.S. Government’s trade and investment tools through customized services – from business consulting and transaction facilitation to targeted policy interventions.
The program will have an office based in the Washington, DC area with regional offices supporting activities in West, East, Southern Africa, and North Africa. The program is a unique whole of government initiative, requiring coordination with USAID, Department of Commerce, State Department and others to complement the U.S. government’s trade and investment tools through regionally tailored services.
The North Africa Regional Director, based in the Cairo office, is responsible for overseeing the implementation of regional project activities, management of project staff, liaising and collaborating with USAID offices (regional and country) and other USG representatives, managing the regional office budget, and coordinating with partner organizations. S/he will establish and maintain systems for project operations and coordinate and maintain working relationships with key project stakeholders (including USAID, other USG representatives, host country ministries, high-level government officials, and private sector partners). The North Africa Regional Director will lead all activities related to the identification and facilitation of potential trade and investment opportunities within their region, and will develop partnerships with key private sector players and institutions to improve the business operating environment within their region. The North Africa Regional Director will report to the PATIP Chief of Party and will closely coordinate with the US-based project team.
The position is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Serve as lead technical advisor and manager providing guidance and oversight to regionally-based staff focused on increased trade, increased investment, and/or improved business environment
- Develop and manage relationships with key regional project stakeholders including private sector firms and institutions, USAID, US Embassies, local government counterparts, development institutions, and project subcontractors and grant recipients
- Manage regional-level project operations and assist in the development of annual planning and timely, high quality implementation of activities and deliverables
- Oversee the regional office and supervise a multi-disciplinary team of short and long-term experts
- Manage the project budget and ensure the submission of timely and accurate program, financial, and procurement reports
- Manage the regional office’s contributions to USAID required reports, including but not limited to quarterly, annual, MEL and other reports.
- Attend and manage the development of Prosper Africa-related events and conferences, as appropriate
- MBA or a Master’s degree in trade, international business, economics, or related field is required
- At least 15 years of progressively responsible experience in one or several of the following technical sectors: trade, international value chain strengthening, access to finance; market systems; small and medium enterprise development growth; business enabling environment; and business development
- Experience identifying and facilitating business-to-business linkages and promoting, and structuring investment and trade deals is required
- At least 10 years of experience in a managerial or leadership role for a multi-sectoral international development program
- USAID experience is required
- Experience working in the North Africa region or experience leading regional projects is required
- Fluency in English required; French preferred
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.