Abt Associates seeks a qualified candidates for North Africa Regional Trade Director for the anticipated USAID-funded Prosper Africa Trade and Investment Program (PATIP). PATIP will advance Prosper Africa’s goals to boost trade, increase investment, and support business-friendly policy reforms. Its team of transaction advisors will work closely with U.S. Embassy Deal Teams across Africa to identify and close deals. The program will complement the U.S. Government’s trade and investment tools through customized services – from business consulting and transaction facilitation to targeted policy interventions.
The program will have an office based in the Washington, D.C. area with regional offices supporting activities in West, East, Southern Africa, and North Africa. The program is a unique whole of government initiative, requiring coordination with USAID, Department of Commerce, State Department and others to complement the U.S. government’s trade and investment tools through regionally tailored services.
The North Africa Trade Director will be based in Cairo, Egypt and will lead all activities in their region that support increasing trade between the U.S. and Africa, and support the improvement of the trade environment in Africa.
The position is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- For the assigned region, lead the strategy and implementation of trade enhancement between the US and Africa;
- Develop and manage the region’s team of trade facilitators;
- Collaborate with public and private stakehoders such as the regional or country-specific businesses that represent trade, and officials/deal teams in the U.S. Embassies, including USAID, Department of Commerce, Department of State, DFC, USTR and other USG entities, African governments and institutions such as Export Trade agencies, and private sector chambers of commerce;
- Engage with government, private sector actors, and other stakeholders to address legal, policy and regulatory issues impeding or required for enhanced trade, including customs, sanitary/phytosanitary regulations, tariffs, intellectual property rights, and other aspects of the trade environment;
- Manage the coordination and technical aspects of subcontractor and grantee activities related to trade and export;
- Work with the regional team’s trade specialists to understand and facilitate entrepreneurs’ varying needs for meeting trade regulatory requirements and apply expertise to individual business opportunities;
- Develop and maintain strong partnerships with stakeholders and partners;
- Manage and report on trade activities as required to meet USAID program requirements.
- MBA or Master Degree in business, business and/or trade law, economics, or similar field;
- At least 12 years of professional experience working in private sector development;
- Experience in export trade, including experience working with the regulatory environment, intellectual property rights and other legal and policy issues affecting trade, customs, export requirements;
- Experience working with public and private stakeholders and clients;
- Relevant work experience in Africa;
- At least 5 years of experience in a managerial or leadership role and collaborating with remote teams;
- Fluency in English required and proficiency in French is highly preferred.
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.