Global Communities is seeking a Vice President (VP) of Communications & Public Affairs to join its Executive Management Team, reporting to the President/CEO. The VP strategically manages the reputation of the organization with existing stakeholders and by targeted outreach to new stakeholders.
1. Communications & Media
* Develop and implement a media relations strategy, traditional and digital, which promotes our practice and thought leadership to specialist and mainstream media, in support of organizational objectives.
* Anticipate and develop communications resources, policies and competencies to respond to crises.
* Develop strategies to minimize the possibility of negative press and manage negative stories should they arise, responding where necessary.
* Function as chief spokesperson of Global Communities in the media.
* Provide media training to staff who represent Global Communities in public.
* Advise Executive leadership and Senior Management Team on media management
2. Public Affairs
* Develop and implement Global Communities’ public affairs strategy in support of organizational goals.
* Manage relationships with Congressional staffers, committees and members.
* Ensure field, program staff and experts frequently update relevant Congressional committees and staff with information and education.
* Prepare staff for Congressional testimony; write testimony, talking points, and FAQs.
* Monitor relevant legislation and budget issues and take action where necessary.
* Represent Global Communities on policy matters relating to US government policy at InterAction, USGLC and other relevant fora.
* Lead outreach to think tanks, peer groups and advocacy groups, where appropriate.
* Place Global Communities experts on panels and public fora to promote thought leadership.
* Plan and run strategic positioning events, on Capitol Hill and other relevant venues.
3. Branding & Marketing
* In collaboration with other senior managers, the VP will identify target audiences, influencers and partners to drive brand awareness to support organizational objectives, including raising funds, influencing decision-makers and engaging in strategic partnerships.
* Oversee the management of the Global Communities, Partners for Good, brand.
* Monitor the organization’s reputation among key audiences and take steps to improve or correct stakeholder perceptions.
* Oversee and review visual and messaging brand guidelines.
* Monitor Global Communities’ market positioning and refresh / adapt where necessary.
* Monitor development sector and donors for new trends, and ensure we are strategically aligned for future funding with current and new donors.
* Maintain, update and renovate the website to ensure it is user-appropriate and uses up-to-date technology.
* Ensure that other website stakeholders (Recruitment, Finance, Humanitarian Assistance, Programs and Resources, and Development Finance) have appropriate support.
* Produce Global Communities Annual Report and other corporate publications.
4. Executive and Internal Communications
* Produce monthly all-staff newsletter.
* Assist President and CEO with Executive Communications, speeches, panel presentations, blogs, and media.
5. Support Services
* Provides support for business development in graphics, websites, media and public affairs advice, writing, planning and strategic communications.
* Provide support for programs in graphics, websites, media and public affairs advice, writing, planning and strategic communications.
* Travel and plan travel for others to ensure programs are supported through communications where necessary.
6. People and Program Management
* Oversee the Communications Departments’ staff, budgets, programs and projects.
* Align department staff efforts toward overall objectives and manage performance.
* Build general capacity of all Global Communities staff on the value of messaging with a focus on capacity building for Global Communities communicators, including programmatic-focused communicators in programs outside span of control.
* MA and 13 years exp or BA and 15 years exp.
* 13 years of experience in communications, public affairs and/or related disciplines preferred.
* Five years non-profit and international development experience preferred.
* Five years of supervisory experience preferred.
* Must have U.S. work authorization.
Global Communities is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. EOE/AA - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individual with Disabilities.