Global Communities is seeking an experienced WASH Behavior Change Specialist to oversee supervise the implementation of the behavior change approach on the anticipated Millennium Challenge Corp (MCC) funded Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Project. The goal of this project is to address pending water, sanitation, and hygiene issues in identified local communities, increasing capacity in communities to address their own development priorities.
This project will be part of the Millennium Challenge Account-Liberia (MCA-L) programs in the Mount Coffee Reservoir catchment area. The goal of those programs is to protect the quality and quantity of water that enters the reservoir.
The BC Specialist will supervise the implementation of the behavior change approach that will result in ODF communities and sustainable WASH infrastructure, institutions, and positive health outcomes.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Oversee the design and implementation of all project activities related to changing WASH-related behaviors in the target populations - local leaders and functionaries, residents, children;
* Implement systematic and rigorous behavior change approach that identifies the key incentives, motivators, barriers, around desired WASH behaviors and design appropriate and targeted behavior change communication interventions that incorporate them;
* Identify appropriate performance indicators and monitor and evaluate behavior change;
* Design and implement WASH BCC as part of the GoL-mandated CLTS approach for helping communities attain and sustain ODF status
* Write progress reports;
* Coordinate with other staff to integrate behavior change actions with other project activities (e.g. Capacity building, infrastructure development) ensuring that project activities are efficiently implemented;
* Liaise and coordinate with GoL and representatives with other development actors as necessary;
* Orient other Project Staff in the behavior change approach and activities, providing mentoring as required - especially to WASH field coordinators;
* Ensure that behavior change communication transcends traditional educational messaging and mass communication approaches.
* Bachelors’ degree in an applicable field of study (development, communications, marketing, anthropology, sociology, counselling, public health),
* At least 5 years of experience as a behavior change specialist in rural development projects at least two years of which was in rural WASH programs with CLTS components
* At least 3 years of experience in West Africa, preferably Liberia,
* Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing behavior change programs that deliver targeted BC messages using different channels at different levels,
* Experience in social and gender issues, especially learning and behavior change challenges of illiterate poor and women is desirable,
* Demonstrated experience in working on integrated WASH teams and incorporating behavior change activities into training and capacity building ,
* Experience using word processing and spreadsheet programs,
* Fluency in written and spoken English,
* Functional Communication skills in Liberian English (Koloqua/Coloqua) though not required, would be an added advantage.
Local citizens are strongly encouraged to apply
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted