Global Communities is seeking an experienced WASH Engineer/Construction Manager to supervise and provide quality control anticipated Millennium Challenge Corp (MCC) funded Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Project. The goal of this project is to address pending water, sanitation, and hygiene issues in identified local communities, increasing capacity in communities to address their own development priorities.
This project will be part of the Millennium Challenge Account-Liberia (MCA-L) programs in the Mount Coffee Reservoir catchment area. The goal of those programs is to protect the quality and quantity of water that enters the reservoir.
The WASH Infrastructure/Hardware Specialist will supervise and provide quality control over the small capital projects contemplated: e.g. block toilets at several schools, rehabilitation of hand-dug wells, improvements to community surface water sources, rainwater harvesting systems. The Infrastructure/Hardware specialist will also provide quality control over toilets/latrines built by households in target communities.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Conduct technical field assessments that feed into WASH infrastructure planning;
* Ensure that designs used for WASH infrastructure and hardware meet GoL standards;
* Oversee/monitor any procurements necessary to install infrastructure or hardware;
* Provide quality control in all aspects of infrastructure/hardware design, procurement and installation/construction;
* Liaise and coordinate with GoL and representatives with other development actors as necessary;
* Work closely with Capacity building specialist to provide inputs to technical training for local technicians - e.g. pump mechanics, local masons;
* Write progress reports;
* Coordinate with other staff to ensure that infrastructure and hardware interventions are utilized as learning-by-doing and behavior change communication opportunities;
* Provide key inputs to Operation and maintenance strategies, manuals, and training.
* Bachelor degree in an applicable field of study (engineering, construction management, construction), and/or practical experience in designing, building WASH infrastructure and hardware with at least five (5) years of experience as an infrastructure hardware technician in rural development projects, at least two years of which was in rural WASH programs with CLTS components OR Higher National Diploma (HND) or Associate Degree (AA) with seven (7) years of relevant experience;
* At least 3 years of experience in West Africa, preferably Liberia;
* Demonstrated experience conducting technical assessments, managing construction teams, managing sub-consultants, delivering hands-on training to WASH technicians;
* Demonstrated experience in designing, managing construction and installation of rural WASH infrastructure including hand dug wells, boreholes, rainwater catchment, hand pumps, institutional toilets, household sanitation, and simple structures;
* Demonstrated experience in developing and setting up operation and maintenance systems for rural WASH infrastructure and hardware;
* Demonstrated experience in working on multi-disciplinary WASH teams and integrating capacity building and behavior change into infrastructure and hardware programming;
* Experience using word processing and spreadsheet programs;
* Fluency in written and spoken English;
* Functional Communication skills in Liberian English (Koloqua/Coloqua) though not required, would be an added advantage.
Local citizens are strongly encouraged to apply
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted