Requisition ID: req1548
Job Title: Women Protection and Empowerment Senior Manager
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’s leading agencies working in post-conflict and development contexts, supporting communities in over 40 fragile, failed and developing states. In this capacity, we work to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted, struggling to endure and wishing to advance on a path of development. The IRC began working in Myanmar in May 2008 with emergency response and early recovery interventions for communities affected by Cyclone Nargis. Since then, the IRC has broadened its portfolio with health, protection, livelihoods, and social development programs aiming to employ a holistic approach to meeting the needs of crisis affected and vulnerable communities to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. In conjunction with longer-term programs working in system strengthening, participatory community-driven development, and local stakeholder capacity development, the IRC works in emergency preparedness and response, supporting its staff and its partners to be able to become more resilient and responsive to shocks and respond quickly when they occur.
The IRC’s Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) program currently operates in various locations across Rakhine State, first established in Sittwe in 2014. The IRC implements through its WPE programming core activities to address gender-based violence (GBV) through case management and psychosocial support services, and to address the root causes of GBV through prevention-focused activities that draw together activists and communities to push for change. The IRC strives to promote and support women’s and girls’ social and economic empowerment, as well as integrate WPE and GBV prevention and response with other sectors, e.g. health, governance, for multi-sector, holistic interventions that are responsive to target communities’ needs.
SCOPE OF WORK: The Senior WPE Manager will oversee all IRC WPE programming in Rakhine State, ensuring quality technical programming, overseeing all program management, leading the design of new programming and providing strategic leadership on behalf of women and girls through active participation in humanitarian coordination and advocacy. She/he will provide technical oversight for all prevention and response activities to ensure quality, confidential and tailored service delivery. This includes the start-up of new programming through direct and mobile service delivery as well as GBV prevention interventions, as well as other targeted women and girls social and economic empowerment activities. She/he will provide overall program management including of budgets, operational and spending planning and tracking, monitoring and evaluation and reporting. The Senior WPE Manager oversees quarterly and annual narrative and financial reports to the donor including ensuring program M&E is carried out and well coordinated. The position requires a personal commitment to advancing women’s issues and working on behalf of women and girls in the community.
The Senior WPE Manager will report the WPE Coordinator for all technical, operational and coordination activities, and will also work closely with the Roving WPE Specialist where appropriate. The Senior WPE Manager will work closely with IRC Health, Livelihoods and other program teams as required, as well as local partners, I/NGOs, Government and UN agencies to improve service delivery and support complementary and where appropriate, integrated programming. This position supervises directly supervises two WPE Manager and supervises through them the rest of the Rakhine WPE team including Senior Training Officer, Senior Program Officer, Program Officer, Senior Case Workers, Senior Outreach Workers, Senior Adolescent Girl Workers, WPE Facilitators as well as community volunteers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Ensure response work with survivors, including case management, psychosocial interventions and referral, adheres to best-practice principles when working with survivors of GBV
* Ensure that ethical and sound data collection and information management systems are in place for analysis, planning, evaluation, and advocacy including through the use of the GBVIMS
* Provide technical oversight to all GBV prevention interventions with a particular focus on working with adolescent girls, women’s economic empowerment and engaging men and boys for positive behaviour change
* Lead the design and implementation of technically sound programming through direct and mobile service delivery including remote management as well as integrated programming where appropriate
* Reinforce adherence to the GBV guiding principles and other international standards to ensure quality of design and implementation of all WPE activities
* Provide technical guidance to humanitarian actors in Rakhine on GBV minimum standards and IASC Guidelines
* Proactive identify and analyse protection concerns and gaps in Central and Northern Rakhine to inform current programming and support potential expansion in response to needs
* Work with the program staff to ensure that field experiences are documented and used for learning and to advocate on behalf of the communities with which we work.
* Lead technical capacity building and training to IRC WPE and non-WPE staff as well as key actors across Rakhine with a focus on Clinical Care for Sexual Assault Survivors and Caring for Child Survivors
Staff Supervision & Development
* Recruit and support the hiring of staff in coordination with human resources and others.
* Directly supervise all WPE staff across operational townships (currently, Sittwe, Rathedaung, Myebon and Minbya)
* Oversee the building of capacity and skills around program management, grants, management, spending plans, work plans, coordination and staff supervision
* Mentor and support staff professional development and foster a positive team spirit to encourage innovative and quality programming
* Identify training needs for WPE staff, and support organization and facilitation of training to meet those needs, in collaboration with the Senior WPE Manager
* Provide guidance and technical support to teams through regular field monitoring visits
* Provide training and capacity building to other IRC departments in conjunction with department managers
* Oversee the field-level preparation and maintenance/updating of detailed work plan(s), procurement plans and spending plans that support and achieve program activities
* Oversee the management of multiple grants, regular narrative and financial reporting and the documentation of results and maintenance of detailed program records as per IRC policies
* Lead program quarterly/annual donor reporting in coordination with WPE Coordinator
* Actively identify new funding opportunities, lead the development of concept notes in coordination with the WPE Coordinator, and contribute to the development of proposals and strategic plans related to the WPE sector in Rakhine.
Coordination and Representation
* Provide strategic leadership for the GBV sector and on behalf of IRC in humanitarian, development and peacebuilding coordination, including co-chairing the GBV Sub-Sector
* Liaise with UN and NGO partners, ministry departments, local authorities, and beneficiaries in planning and response to emergencies
* Invest in building and maintaining relationships with local partners
* Coordinate closely with IRC program, operations and finance teams in Sittwe and Yangon for effective program planning
* Develop and maintain effective working relationships with relevant stakeholders including community leaders and other implementing partners.
* Ensure all activities are carried out in accordance with IRC Operational policies.
* Other duties as assigned by the supervisor
* Bachelor of Arts or Science in Social Science, Public Health, Humanities or other related field
* At least 3 years of professional experience in NGOs in implementing community-based activities and managing diverse teams
* Experience working with women and girls and effectively addressing the issues they face in Rakhine State (experience in Rakhine State or comparable setting including protracted crisis)
* Previous work with or within a women’s organization or international NGO, preferred
* Experience facilitating trainings, workshops, or mentoring others
* Strong ability to organize work, coordinate multiple tasks, meet deadlines, work in a professional environment, work under pressure, and work within a multi-cultural team
* Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with relevant stakeholders including community leaders and other implementing partners
* Excellent community facilitation skills
* Ability to work with culturally diverse national and international staff
* Willingness to participate and contribute as a team member, under challenging working and living conditions
* Strong written and spoken English and report writing skills
* Computer skills in Microsoft Office
* Good understanding of humanitarian principles of humanity and neutrality
* Ability to work and travel in remote areas
* Demonstrating trustworthiness and upholding the highest ethical standards