Requisition ID: req2477
Job Title: WPE Coordinator
Sector: Women Protection & Empowerment
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’ s leading agencies working in post-conflict and development contexts, supporting communities in over 40 fragile, failed and developing states. In this capacity, we work to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted, struggling to endure and wishing to advance on a path of development. The IRC began working in Myanmar in 2008 with emergency response and early recovery interventions for communities affected by Cyclone Nargis. Since then, the IRC has broadened its portfolio with health, protection, livelihoods, and social development programs aiming to employ a holistic approach to meeting the needs of crisis affected and vulnerable communities to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. In conjunction with longer-term programs working in system strengthening, participatory community-driven development, and local stakeholder capacity development, the IRC works in emergency preparedness and response, supporting its staff and its partners to be able to become more resilient and responsive to shocks and respond quickly when they occur.
The IRC’ s Women’ s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) program was established in Myanmar in 2014, and currently operates in various locations across Rakhine, Northern Shan, and Kachin States. The IRC implements through its WPE programming core activities to respond to gender-based violence (GBV) through case management and psycho-social support services; and to address the root causes of GBV through prevention-focused activities engaging women, girls, men and boys. The IRC strives to promote and support women’ s and girls’ social and economic empowerment, as well as integrate WPE and GBV prevention and response with other sectors, e.g. health and livelihoods, for multi-sector, holistic interventions that are responsive to target communities’ needs.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The IRC is seeking a highly motivated, dynamic individual for the position of WPE Coordinator. The WPE Coordinator is responsible for providing overall technical leadership, coordination, and management of all of the IRC’ s WPE programming throughout Myanmar. The WPE Coordinator provides regular technical and program management oversight, guidance, and monitoring, both on-site and through continuous remote support, to ensure that all program interventions are context-specific, technically sound, and appropriate in meeting the needs of target beneficiaries. With an emphasis on integrated outcomes with other IRC sectors under the IRC’ s organizational outcomes framework, she/he collaborates with other key staff to achieve and manage growth of IRC’ s WPE programming, including in the development of strategies and funding proposals for the country program. The WPE Coordinator contributes to external coordination efforts and represents the IRC in various internal and external forums. The position requires a personal commitment to advancing women’ s issues and to contributing to collective efforts, internally and externally, to address gender inequality. The WPE Coordinator reports to the Deputy Director for Programs (DDP), and directly supervises three WPE program staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Program Technical Quality
* Provide technical oversight and support across WPE programs, and relevant integrated programming, for IRC program staff and partners.
* In addition to maintaining technical quality of GBV prevention and response work, lead the development, piloting, and/or scale up of context adapted interventions, e.g. mobile case management, targeted adolescent girls programming, economic empowerment interventions.
* Ensure measures are in place and followed up on with regard to technical training and capacity building for IRC staff and partner organizations’ staff as per assessed capacity building needs.
* Ensure IRC’ s participation and coordination in GBV IMS and reporting and relevant standard operating procedures and information sharing protocols; ensure that ethical and sound data collection and information management systems are in place for analysis, planning, evaluation, and advocacy.
* Ensure sufficient monitoring, evaluation, and learning capacities are addressed and supported across WPE programs, project-based or in coordination with core ME&L staff.
* Conduct regular field monitoring visits, and provide guidance and technical support to IRC teams as well as key national organization partners.
* Oversee and support Senior Managers to effectively carry out budget and grants management.
* Develop and oversee program budgets to ensure an appropriate and efficient use of resources, and that WPE projects comply with internal and external requirements.
* Coordinate with Emergency Preparedness & Response Coordinator and other relevant staff in planning for and responding to crises as they arise requiring WPE interventions.
* Provide timely, quality inputs to, and lead WPE’ s role in delivering, strategic action planning.
* Oversee strategic projects (determined by the country program) to ensure proper implementation and outputs are met, according to donor need.
* Liaise regularly with HQ- and regionally-based Technical Unit staff in the design, delivery, and monitoring of WPE-related programming; coordinate with technical leads and senior management teams in developing and implementing regional cross-border strategies.
* Actively contribute to broader strategic planning processes in Myanmar, ensuring that WPE interventions and related initiatives are taken into account.
* Participate in emergency assessments and response, providing guidance and recommendations for new programs and initiatives that maximize safety for women and girls.
* In coordination with the DDP, Grants Unit and the WPE Technical Advisor, guide proposal development through planning and program design with relevant field-based staff.
Staff Management and Development
* Provide ongoing support, capacity development, and mentoring to Senior WPE Managers and Roving Specialist, supporting them to do the same with the national WPE staff in the wider teams.
* Ensure training and ongoing capacity building of staff on WPE-related and project management skills with a specific focus on building the capacity of local staff.
* When required, lead on the recruitment and management of new WPE program staff, consultants or other external support, in coordination with HR.
Coordination and Representation
* In coordination with the DDP, actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders in Myanmar including donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors, maintaining IRC as a key contributor to addressing VAWG and WPE issues in Myanmar.
* Develop strategic partnerships with local organizations, wherever possible.
* Actively participate in national level coordination meetings and working groups
* Represent the WPE program through meetings with external stakeholders and facilitating field visits for stakeholders interested in WPE programming in Myanmar.
* Coordinate with the DDP and field coordinators/managers to ensure field concerns and challenges are brought to relevant stakeholders to push for standards that systematize how WPE programming is implemented and coordinated at the field level.
* Coordinate with other sectors within IRC in designing and delivering integrated and multi-sector programs and ensuring multi-sector, multi-site project/grant management is effectively carried out.
* Master’ s degree in social sciences, health, humanities or other related field with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; or Bachelor’ s degree in a related field with a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience.
* Experience must include at least 3 years senior level management experience in GBV programming
* At least 2 years of experience in direct service provision for survivors of sexual violence, preferred.
* Substantial experience in project management in conflict or post-conflict situations, preferably in emergency contexts. International/oversees experience is a plus.
* Demonstrated experience in successfully leading and strengthening program teams in a dynamic, challenging and changing context, including experience with remote management.
* Strong program/technical and budget management skills, and experience in grant management and proposal writing.
* Demonstrated leadership skills, with strong coordination and networking skills.
* Demonstrated experience in staff capacity building and mentoring.
* Knowledge, skills and experience in participatory methods, community development and partnership.
* Excellent interpersonal skills, positive and professional attitude, ability to lead and work well in a team setting and with multiple partners.
* Excellent written and oral English skills are mandatory.
* Excellent computer skills in programs such as: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
* Ability to multi-task and independently organize work and prioritize tasks.
* Flexible and creative
* Ability to work calmly under pressure and efficiently manage heavy workload
* Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
* Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
About the Organization
From emergency response through post-conflict development work, in a great variety of roles around the world, the International Rescue Committee’s 8,000-plus staff is a force for humanity and hope. If you’re skilled and passionate, we’d like to add your energy to ours.
Careers at the IRC are as wide-ranging and far-reaching as our work. Encouraging staff development through promotion, transfer and rehire, the IRC nurtures long-term career paths and helps employees grow within the organization.
At any given moment, on any given day, all around the world, IRC staff members are restlessly and effectively working for the sake of the most vulnerable among us—to restore and renew hope, dignity and freedom.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.