This week marks the one year anniversary of #AidToo — the campaign moniker for the global conversation about sexual violence in the aid and international development sector.
In this episode, editors Jessica Abrahams and Kate Midden explore the unique issues the aid sector faces — power imbalances between national and international staff, challenges with international background checks, and barriers to effective safeguarding policies — as well as the biggest moments in #AidToo this year.
• Commitments and chaos at London's #AidToo summit
• Could a global register of aid workers prevent sexual abuse?
• Opinion: Without systemic change, safeguarding will only keep INGOs safe — not people
• Oxfam sexual abuse scandal: Are the aid sector's HR systems failing?
• Aid sector 'sluggish and delusional' in responding to sexual abuse, MPs find
• Opinion: Sex abuse survivors are speaking up. This time, we can't let them down.
Update, Dec. 7, 2018: In this episode, we referred to Angela Bruce Raeburn as the executive director of the Global Health Advocacy Incubator. She is the associate director.