ACMAD is the Weather and Climate Centre with African continental competence. It was created in 1987 by the Conference of Ministers of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO). ACMAD has been operational in Niamey since 1992. ACMAD is composed of 53 Member States, the 53 countries of "Africa" continent. To ensure its mission, ACMAD functions primarily with meteorologists detached by its Members States.
ACMAD’s mission is the provision of weather and climate information and for the promotion of sustainable development of Africa (notably within the context of national strategies for poverty eradication), in the fields of agriculture, water resources, health, public safety and renewable energy.
ACMAD carries out its mission through; capacity-building for the 53 National Meteorological Services (NMSs) of its Member States, in weather prediction, climate monitoring (extreme events…), transfer of technology (telecommunications, computing and rural communication) and in research.
Moreover, ACMAD encourages the NMSs to prepare strategic development plans which integrate new African initiatives (NEPAD, regional integration) and the socio-economic conditions related to the changing global environment (post Rio Conventions, Kyoto Protocol).
To achieve its objectives, ACMAD:
- prepares and disseminates products and services;
- Ensures development and transfer of tools and technology to NMHSs;
- monitors communications with users notably in rural communities;
- networks with NMHSs and regional development aid institutions;
- provides a window to technology partners, under conditions which are typical of the African situation;
- supplements Member States’ and partners contributions through a Resource Mobilisation policy;
- is a «nursery» for sustainable development of Africa;
- for ACMAD, climate and the environment are resources for development;
Staff at African Center of Meteorological Application for Development (ACMAD) have experience in
anti-poverty / social justice
Contact African Center of Meteorological Application for Development (ACMAD)