Agribusiness Support Fund (ASF)
Agribusiness Support Fund (ASF) is a ‘not-for-profit’ company established by Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock (MINFAL) with the support of the Asian Development Bank (ADB). ASF is governed by a private sector led independent Board of Directors. The company is based at Lahore and extends its support to all the four provinces of Pakistan, as well as FATA, FANA and the AJK.
ASF provides funds on matching grant basis (non-returnable) for Business Development Services, to individuals & firms engaged in agri-related businesses, enabling them to employ modern techniques & practices and build within themselves the different skills, know-how, expertise and market understanding required by a fast-changing economic environment and to improve their productivity, profitability, competitiveness and creditworthiness. ASF aims to support employment generation and economic growth by developing a competitive and sustainable agribusiness sector in Pakistan and specifically focuses on the following areas:
- Horticulture i.e. fruits, vegetables, dry fruits, dates, spices.
- Livestock (excluding poultry and fishery) & Dairy
ASF does not provide loans and funds for capital expenditure / fixed assets procurement.
ASF was established in 2005, as a component of the Agribusiness Development Project sponsored and supported by the Asian Development Bank. ASF was created to provide farmers, farmer groups, and entrepreneurs with demand-driven technical and managerial services on a matching grant basis to improve their productivity, competitiveness and creditworthiness to access financing for their enterprises. ASF’s intent to define its future role and maximize its impact is reflected in the Core Values, Mission and Vision, which characterize and inspire ASF, and the Focus Areas where ASF has chosen to concentrate its effort.
To support economic growth, create employment opportunities and contribute to poverty alleviation through development of agriculture value chains.
To serve as a platform to help uplift Pakistan’s agribusiness sector to internationally competitive levels, in partnership with the rural poor, small and large growers and other stakeholders.
ASF Focuses on
• Agribusiness development because this sub-sector typically offers the greatest opportunity to address the needs of poor people who live in rural areas.
• Sustainable Income generating activity because a secure and steady source of income is the primary means to address poverty related issues such as food security, education, health, and housing.
• The High Value agribusiness sectors because they are the most underserved and offer the greatest opportunity for value addition and development leading to rural employment, increased rural income and economic growth.
• The entire Value Chain of the targeted sectors, from input supply, to production, processing and marketing, because a holistic approach must be adopted to address constraints that impede the growth of the sector.
• Farmer Group activity because this facilitates collective market access for smallholder farmers on a sustainable basis.See more