Applied Biotechnology Institute is dedicated to providing health and environmental benefits to society. ABI uses its proprietary animal-free system to produce recombinant proteins and develop sustainable solutions. They form partnerships with other companies for latter stages of product development, production and sales.
INNOVATIVE PLATFORM TECHNOLOGY
There are several protein technologies that have been in place for decades using microbial and animal cell cultures but each of these systems has its limitations. ABI takes advantage of the unique characteristics found in plant systems to overproduce recombinant proteins. In particular, they select proteins that are not well-suited to traditional expression systems. The system of choice is maize grain, for which ABI has issued and pending patents that favor high expression and efficient processing.
ADVANTAGES OF ABI’S PLATFORM TECHNOLOGY
1. Low cost of production
2. Low upfront capital costs
3. Produces animal-free products
4. No purification required for applications utilizing direct delivery of maize grain in food/feed or industrial applications (eg. oral vaccines, industrial enzymes, food or feed enzymes)
5. Protein can be stored in grain for years without loss of activity
6. Proven commercial potential
Where is Applied Biotechnology Institute