Centre for Economic and Social Development (CESD)
The Centre for Economic and Social Development (CESD) is an independent and non-political think tank supporting evidence-based policy making that mobilizes development resources, both domestic and international, to bring Myanmar to her rightful place in the region and the world.
The Centre undertakes participatory policy research studies related to economic reform, poverty-reduction, sustainable development, and good governance in Myanmar. It also provides training and education services for key institutions and organizations contributing to the ongoing process of reform in Myanmar.
CESD undertakes public policy research across the following areas:
labour and social policy,
food security and rural development, and
CESD is also the Coordinator of the Leading Authority overseeing the Myanmar Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (MEITI).
CESD partners with the Comprehensive Development Education Centre (CDEC), an organisation providing education and training services for youth and people working in development. CDEC’s mission is to “provide capacity building and enrich the existing knowledge and skills of civil society organisations, staff at non-government organisations, and youth, in order to facilitate community empowerment and participation in community development and nation building.”
CESD also provides training and education services for institutions and organizations contributing to the on-going process of reform. Highlights of CESD’s training and education services are accessible via the Events link above and have included:
- training in leadership and public sector reform for Permanent Secretaries,
- a trade negotiation capacity building workshop for civil servants,
- public revenue model training for Internal Revenue Department staff, and
- value chain analysis training to support rural development.
Vision, mission, goal and objectives
To contribute to Myanmar’s transformation towards a democratic, developed and dignified society.
To provide evidence-based policy research, results-orientated knowledge sharing and people-centred public advocacy to support the peaceful and sustainable transformation of Myanmar.
CESD’s goals are to support the participatory process of reforms in Myanmar in achieving:
1. Comprehensive development measured by achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
2. Economic transformation marked by successful implementation of regional integration under the ASEAN Economic Community.
3. Sustained and inclusive growth with greater improvement in the standard of living at par with middle-income countries and graduation from the status of Least Developed Country.
- to play a central role in supporting economic reform, poverty-reduction and good governance;
- to receive feedback on progress of reforms and to review and inform the on-going policy execution;
- to implement special programs and projects critical to the success of reforms, supplementing legitimacy deficits, weak organizations or poor capacities of public institutions;
- to provide training and education services for all key institutions and organizations that contribute to the process of reform;
- to offer innovative solutions to overcome binding constraints to the transition.See more