Companhia de Saneamento de Minas Gerais (COPASA MG)
In 1963, the State of Minas Gerais created COMAG (Mining Company for Water and Sewage) to provide water supply and sewage services to the municipalities of Minas Gerais.
With the creation of the Sanitation Financial System and the National Sanitation Plan (PLANASA), the State Basic Sanitation Companies were created. At that time, the Municipal Water and Sewerage Department (DEMAE), which is responsible for the sanitation services of Belo Horizonte, was incorporated by COMAG. Thus, with municipal incorporations and dizzying growth, the then COMAG eventually changed its corporate name to Companhia de Saneamento de Minas Gerais - COPASA MG in 1974.
With headquarters in Belo Horizonte and more than 55 years of history, COPASA MG is among the largest sanitation companies in Brazil. COPASA MG currently owns shares in B3 - Brazil, Bolsa, Balcão, traded under the code CSMG3, and a member of the Novo Mercado, a segment that requires greater commitment to transparency rules and corporate governance.
According to the Company's Bylaws, the Company's core activities are:
- Drinking water supply: activity that involves the collection, treatment and distribution of treated water to the final consumer;
- Sanitary sewage: collection, transportation, treatment and final disposal of sanitary sewage, from the building connection to the final release into the environment;
- Urban cleaning and solid waste management: collection, transportation, transhipment, treatment and final disposal of urban waste and waste originating from urban sweeping and cleaning.
In December 2017, COPASA reached 636 concessions for the provision of water supply services, serving 11.5 million people through 5.2 million savings. Regarding sewage services, the number of concessions as of December 31, 2017 was 302. At the same date, 7.8 million people with sewage services were provided through savings of 3.5 million.
Over more than 50 years of history, the Company believes it has gained the following competitive advantages:
- Diversified and dispersed customer base;
- Technical and operational excellence;
- Relevant percentage of revenue from long term contracts;
- Quality recognized in the provision of services.See more