Companhia Estadual de Engenharia de Transportes e Logística (CENTRAL) (Rio de Janeiro)
The State Company of Transport and Logistics Engineering - CENTRAL originates in the early days of the railroad in Brazil. It is in fact reminiscent of a long process of railroad construction, nationalization and merger of companies, eradication of lines, and ultimately split and privatization.
There were therefore cycles of expansion and retraction and nationalization and privatization, which began in 1854 with the inauguration of the 1st Railroad of Brazil, connecting the stations of Guia de Pacobaíba, in the Port of Mauá, and Fragoso, Raiz da Serra, both in the municipality of Mauá, Rio de Janeiro.
In 1855, the construction of the D Pedro II Railway was enacted, the first stretch of which was inaugurated in 1858, connecting the Court Station (now D Pedro II) to Queimados Station, RJ.
After the monarchy, the D Pedro II Railway was renamed the Central Railway of Brazil, which, after incorporating small private railways and part of EF Leopoldina, was also incorporated by the Federal Railway Network-RFFSA in 1957, together with seventeen other railways from all over Brazil.
In 1984, RFFSA split up, which transferred the management of urban passenger train services to the Brazilian Urban Train Company (CBTU). A decade later, on December 22, 1994, FLUMITRENS was created and the urban passenger train services were state-built. In 1998 most of these services were delivered to private management and FLUMITRENS absorbed state missions and activities.
In May 2001, the Central Transport and Logistics Engineering Company (CENTRAL) was created, which assumed the functions of rail transport, as well as the Santa Teresa Trolley System, by subsequent decision, due to the split-off of FLUMITRENS.See more