Concordia University of Edmonton
Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) has played an important role in Alberta’s educational history since 1921. In 1987, CUE began awarding undergraduate degrees in the arts and sciences. Today, CUE offers over 45 majors and minors in the fields of Arts, Science, and Management; two after-degree programs; three masters degrees; and several graduate certificates and diplomas.
Throughout their history, CUE has committed to providing a higher education grounded in a liberal arts tradition. They are a globally aware and responsible university, and focus on the needs of their learners and the community.
Concordia University of Edmonton is a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders and citizens for the common good.
Concordia University of Edmonton will be recognized nationally and internationally for its graduates' knowledge, skill, integrity, and wisdom.
Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) is a university that values its history and traditions, knowing that it provides a solid foundation to all of its students for the future.
For nearly a century, CUE has been part of a growing Edmonton and an important educational institution in the province of Alberta. CUE was the realization of a dream of German Lutheran immigrants who highly valued the worth of an education. With the help of Lutherans from the American based Missouri Synod, the current university was first established as junior college in downtown Edmonton in 1921. In 1926 Concordia was built on Treaty 6 land, after purchase of the property from the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1925.
Since then, CUE has evolved to become one of the City of Edmonton's best smaller universities and professional degree granting institutions. It is now recognized globally as a university committed to academic excellence in teaching and research, welcoming nearly 2,000 students annually from across Canada and from over 40 countries around the world.
1921 – Concordia College is founded by the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod to prepare young men for preaching and teaching ministries.
1939 – The college expands to include women and to offer general courses of study and an accredited high school program.
1967 – Concordia begins offering first-year university courses in affiliation with the University of Alberta.
1975 – Affiliation with the University of Alberta begins for second-year university courses.
1987 – Concordia becomes a degree-granting institution.
1991 – Formal affiliation with the University of Alberta ends by mutual agreement.
1995 – Concordia College changes its name to Concordia University College of Alberta to reflect its status as a degree-granting institution.
2015 – Concordia University College of Alberta becomes Concordia University of Edmonton.
Today, CUE offers over 45 majors and minors in the fields of Arts, Science and Management; 2 After-Degree programs (Elementary Education and Environmental Health), 3 Masters Degrees and a suite of Graduate Certificates and Graduate Diplomas in high demand areas.