The Corporation for National and Community Service, a federal agency that helps millions of Americans improve the lives of their fellow citizens through service. Working hand in hand with local partners, they tap the ingenuity and can-do spirit of the American people to tackle some of the most pressing challenges facing their nation.
They invest in thousands of nonprofit and faith-based groups that are making a difference across the country. They are AmeriCorps, Senior Corps, the Social Innovation Fund, the Volunteer Generation Fund, and more. They serve, they build, and they make an impact that changes lives and communities.
- Disaster Services
- Economic Opportunity
- Environmental Stewardship
- Healthy Futures
- Veterans and Military Families
They Serve the Community
Serving at more than 50,000 locations across the country, they deliver result-driven service where it’s needed most:
- They strengthen education from pre-school on up. Their Foster Grandparentsspark a love of learning in kids and our AmeriCorps members keep students on track to graduate and succeed.
- They help communities recover and rebuild from natural disasters, and they lead efforts to preserve the nation’s natural resources in their parks and public lands.
- They stand behind their veterans and military families by supporting families during deployment and providing assistance to help their soldiers transition into the workforce or get an education after they come home.
- They improve health by supporting independent living for seniors, reducing childhood obesity, preventing disease, and helping families gain access to health care.
- They build economic opportunity for individuals and communities by helping more Americans graduate, pursue higher education, gain career skills, and find employment.
They Build Capacity
Now more than ever, it’s important to make every dollar count. National service is a cost-effective solution that taps the power of citizens to get things done. They multiply the impact of their investment by generating hundreds of millions of non-federal dollars, mobilizing millions of additional volunteers, and operating with a high degree of accountability and efficiency:
- Their 75,000 AmeriCorps members mobilize millions of community volunteers for the organizations they serve, increasing their reach and impact.
- Their Senior Corps programs tap the skills and experience of more than 270,000 older Americans to meet pressing community needs.
- Their Social Innovation Fund generates substantial private sector support to help grow evidence-based programs that improve the lives and build the economic independence of low-income individuals.
- Their Volunteer Generation Fund enables nonprofits to expand their impact by investing in practices that increase volunteer retention and recruitment.
- They provide vital leadership, training, coordination, and resources to help make the nonprofit sector more effective.
- They are creating the next generation of leaders and public servants through the experience their members gain in programs such as FEMA Corps, AmeriCorps NCCC, and School Turnaround AmeriCorps.
They Impact their Nation
Their nation’s strength comes from their people. America has always been at its best when citizens together, joined in common purpose. They help focus this energy on local challenges to make a difference in the lives of millions of Americans every day.
- They support high-impact service to meet pressing needs, from illiteracy and homelessness to hunger and disasters. More than 980,000 Americans have given more than 1.4 billion hours of service through AmeriCorps, helping millions of the most-vulnerable citizens.
- They create economic opportunity by working in schools to improve graduation rates and providing services that develop job skills that lead to new careers.
- They lead AmeriCorps VISTA, which has been on the front lines fighting poverty since 1965, helping improve the lives of low-income individuals and communities across the country.
- They increase educational opportunity through Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards that have provided more than $3.3 billion to more than 980,000 Americans to defray college costs.
- They lead Days of Service on Martin Luther King Day and September 11th that encourage millions of citizens to volunteer in their communities.
Volunteering and national service are vital and cost-effective solutions to the nation’s most-difficult challenges. The Corporation for National and Community Service stands ready to help Americans tackle these challenges and build a better future for the people, neighborhoods, and nation.
Where is Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS)