Culture Resource (Al Mawred Al Thaqafy)
Culture Resource (Al-Mawred Al-Thaqafy) is a regional, non-profit organization founded in 2003 that seeks to support artistic creativity in the Arab region and to encourage cultural exchange within the region and beyond. The work of Culture Resource is based on an appreciation of the value of the diverse cultural heritage within the Arab region, and a belief in the critical role of culture in the development of civil society, the importance of access to culture for all, and the rights of artists to freedom of expression.
Culture Resource seeks to fulfill its mission to support artists from the Arab region and cultural organizations and the cultural sector throughout the region with a range of services and programs. These activities include support for independent artists to create new work and to travel and tour these works, capacity building and training programs and publications in Arabic aimed at developing cultural managers and organizations, cultural policy research, support for artists at risk, and supporting the sustainability of cultural industries in the region, without undermining the value of culture as a public good and a basic human right.
Culture Resource is led by a dynamic staff representing a range of diverse backgrounds, experiences and skill sets, under the governance of a general assembly composed of 34 Arab cultural leaders, and a seven-member artistic board. Their work is characterized by a deep knowledge of the cultural life, context and history of the region, institutional expertise and integrity, commitment to our vision of culture as a right and a public value, and by the representation of the region’s diversity in our beneficiaries, staff, and governing bodies.
An Arab region where cultural diversity is celebrated, and creativity, inclusivity, and equity are fostered.
- To empower, engage, and unite communities through supporting creative and artistic productions, capacity building, and shared cultural knowledge
- To inspire artistic expression, support creative talents, and enhance cultural management skills
- To celebrate and promote a rich, diverse and creative heritage in the Arab heritage
- To promote innovation and creativity for the development of a diverse and open cultural landscape
- Community engagement and inclusiveness: they believe that creating, performing and experiencing art should be inclusive and accessible to all and that culture should foster solidarity, belonging, self-expression, and engagement while connecting communities.
- Collaboration: they believe that their success is tied to that of their stakeholders and in building effective collaborations and partnerships with individuals, organizations, and other stakeholders in order to achieve shared goals.
- Trust: they aspire to be a trusted partner for emerging and established artists and cultural institutions, and for local, regional and international donors, governmental institutions and nonprofit organizations.
- Diversity: they value and celebrate the diverse histories, identities and cultures within their region, and respect all forms of expression, regardless of religion, race, gender, ethnicity, social class or language.
- Transparency: they believe that their procedures and processes for access to and distribution of funds and services must be fair and transparent, inclusive of economically and politically underprivileged communities, and representative of the cultural and social diversity of the region
- Support and preservation: they believe that the development, preservation and care of the region’s artistic ecosystem, including artists and cultural organizations, is central to the region’s social, educational and economic growth.See more