Department of Wildlife and National Parks (DWNP), Malaysia
The DWNP was formerly known as Department of Mergastua. In 1896 the first law on wildlife was created. In 1902 the first wildlife reserve, the Chior Wildlife Reserve, was gazetted. The efforts to set up a central agency to coordinate habitat conservation activities and wildlife species have begun in 1930, with the appointment of En. TR Hubback, former Pahang State Game Warden (Game Warden) , as head of the Malayan Wildlife Commission.
As a result of the Report of the Malayan Wildlife Commission in 1932, two follow-up actions were taken by the government at that time:
the establishment of the Mergastua Department Headquarters in 1937 with the appointment of Captain Ritchie as the first Chief of Protector of Mergastua; and
the establishment of King George V National Parks covering an area of 4,343 sq km on the borders of Pahang, Kelantan and Terengganu in 1938/1939.
In 1955, a new law, " The Wild Animals and Wild Birds Protection Ordinance " ?? has been created to coordinate enforcement on the protection of wildlife throughout Peninsular Malaysia. However, the Department's administration is still under the relevant State Governments. Between 1972 and 1976, the Federal Government in consultation with the State Governments took over the administration of all State Mergers Department in Peninsular Malaysia following the enforcement of the Wildlife Protection Act of 1972, Act 76. The Mergastua Department was later renamed the Department of Wildlife and National Parks or simply the DWNP's Department.See more