Embassy of Japan in South Africa
Japan-SA Relations : Basic Data and Documents
1. Trade between Japan and South Africa
In 2013, Japan was the 3rd biggest export destination and the 6th biggest import source for South Africa.
- South Africa's imports from Japan: 39,344 million Rand (machinery, auto parts, etc)
- South Africa's exports to Japan:53,805 million Rand (mineral resources, automobiles, etc)
2. Japanese firm's activities in South Africa and direct investment from Japan
The number of Japanese companies in South Africa increased significantly to 115 in 2013, and an estimated 150,000 jobs was created. Direct investment form Japan has also increased, and its cumulative total as of 2012 to more than 36.3 billion Rand.
Under the collaboration with Japan International Cooperation Agency(JICA), the Government of Japan has carried out several projects in South Africa, mainly technical support projects.
- Japan's Country Assistance Policy for the Republic of South Africa (December 2012)
- Rolling Plan for the Republic of South Africa (Attachment of Country Assistance Policy)
4. Related documents
The Embassy of Japan compiles a wide range of information on bilateral relationship between Japan and South Africa in the following documents
- Prospectus -20 years of partnership with the Rainbow Nation-
- Japan-South Africa Fact Sheet 2014See more