The Geological and Mining Institute of Spain is a public research body, as an autonomous body under the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness. It was created with the name "Commission for the Geological Map of Madrid and General of the Kingdom" by Royal Decree of July 12, 1849.
Later, in 1910, was renamed the Geological Survey of Spain, and in 1927 was reorganized, it modernizes the laboratories, is installed in its current location, and acquires the name of Geological and Mining Institute of Spain.
The Institute is an autonomous body from the enactment of Law 6/1977, of January 4, Development of Mining and has the character of public research body (OPI) under Law 13/1986 of 14 April Promotion and General Coordination of Scientific and Technical Research. By Royal Decree 1270/1988, of October 28 was renamed Geomining Technological Institute of Spain, name of the institution valid until December 2000, when by Royal Decree 1953/2000, of December 1, whereby the Statute of the Geological and Mining Institute of Spain is approved, recovers its traditional name.
The construction of the Geological and Mining Institute of Spain as the official headquarters of the organization began in 1921 and was not completed until mid 1940. The architectural project is due to Francisco Javier de Luque, although not for the work done in its finish end to primitive levels.