The International Disability Alliance is an alliance of eight global and six regional organisations of persons with disabilities. They advocate at the UN for a more inclusive global environment for persons with disabilities and their organisations. The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) is their touchstone. They are invested in ensuring that the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals are inclusive and in line with CRPD. They support organisations of persons with disabilities worldwide to take part in UN and international human rights processes, and use international accountability mechanisms.
With member organisations globally, IDA represents the estimated one billion people worldwide with disabilities. This is the world’s largest and most frequently overlooked marginalised group. IDA, with its unique composition as a network of the foremost international disability rights organisations, is the most authoritative representation of persons with disabilities on the global level, and acknowledged as such by the United Nations system both in New York and Geneva.
The cornerstone of their work is the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UN CRPD). They promote the effective and full implementation of the UN CRPD, and compliance by governments and the UN System, through the active and coordinated involvement of representative organisations of persons with disabilities at the national, regional and international levels. The 2030 Agenda and its Sustainable Development Goals are also integral to IDA's work to promote inclusive, sustainable development in line with the UN CRPD and the rights of persons with disabilities.
- to respect the sovereignty of all member organizations and recognize their expertise on issues affecting their own constituency;
- to promote the capacity of its member organizations in the interest of their disability constituencies;
- to follow democratic governance ensuring transparency, accountability and full consultation with its member organizations;
- to promote solidarity among and equal treatment of all disability constituencies in all regions of the world;
- to fully respect in all of its work non-discrimination on any grounds including disability, race, gender, religion, age, language, ethnic origin, and sexual orientation; and,
- to ensure the leadership of persons with disabilities through their representative organizations in all decisions affecting their lives;
A society which values diversity, respects equality and realizes the full potential of persons with disabilities in order to build a better world for all.
To advance the human rights of persons with disabilities as a united voice of organizations of persons with disabilities utilizing the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and other human rights instruments.
Where is International Disability Alliance (IDA)