The Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS) was established on 21 December 1965 through the Kenya Red Cross Society Act. (Chapter 256 Laws of Kenya). Its Constitution is based on the Geneva Conventions of 1949 and their Additional Protocols of 1977 to which Kenya is a signatory.
The National Society was officially recognized by the Government in the Kenya Red Cross Society Act (Chapter 256 Laws of Kenya) as a voluntary aid Society auxiliary to the public authorities in the humanitarian field and as the only National Red Cross Society that carries out its activities in the Kenyan territory. In relation to public authorities, the Society maintains an autonomy, which allows it to act at all times in accordance with the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross and Red Cresent Movement.
As auxiliary to the national and county governments, they will work with their communities, volunteers and partners to ensure they prepare for and respond to their humanitarian and development needs. They will focus their collective capabilities and resources to alleviate human suffering and save lives.
Over the years, KRCS has remained the leading humanitarian agency and the strongest humanitarian brand in Kenya, the East Africa region and Africa. This is evident with the level of expectation and confidence that the communities in Kenya have bestowed on the Society. At national level, operations are spearheaded by a management team led by the Secretary General while at county level, KRCS is governed by boards and administratively managed by a Regional Manager.