Mines, Minerals and People (MM&P)
mm&P (mines, minerals & PEOPLE) is a growing alliance of individuals, institutions and communities who are concerned and affected by mining. The isolated struggles of different groups have ledthem to form into broad a national alliance for combating the destructive nature of mining.
mm&P members at present are
- more than 100 grass-roots groups,
- About 20 diverse support organisations,
- Across 16 States
With the purpose of ...
- Supporting local struggles,
- Legal and Media advocacy,
- Information, documentation, research and fact finding,
- Developing campaign strategies,
- Skill share, Jatras, Exchanges,
- National and International networking,
- Technical and Scientific Expertise.
- To bring a uniform and balanced mineral policy
- Protection of rights of indigenous communities,
- Fight for people's control over mineral resources,
- Stress for minimum mining,
- Explore better sustainable alternatives to mining,
- Resist environment destruction,
- Monitor global and Indian mining industries.
- Mining should be the last resort for the use of land. Before resorting to mining, comparable usability of - resources from existing sources, i.e. recycling and storage dumps should be made,
- There is much greater wealth for human kind above these minerals,
- One species of medicinal plant which turns out a medicine can be worth ten times the total produce of minerals.
- Community knowledge of various aspects of human life from medicinal plants to community organisation is worth ten times the value of a plant species.
.... and Alternatives
- They should gear towards a national policy of what has to be mined and what should not be mined, from the interest of the people rather than the Markets and the Industry.
- They therefore feel the progressive nations should go beyond economics of the market place and understand global stewardship,
- they should contribute to minimising mining,
- and seek ways where they can replace non renewable with more renewables.
Of values and Decisions.....
- The minerals will be forever - if people do not mine them,
- The wealth above will never be ours - if people mine them..
... and therefore, in togetherness they appeal: Emphasise Minimum MiningSee more