Ministry for Foreign and European Affairs (MFEA) (Malta)
Role of the Ministry
- Ensuring that Malta’s foreign policy objectives on European Union, bilateral, regional and global issues are pursued. The Ministry also coordinates the negotiation and conclusion of bilateral agreements.
- Ensuring active participation in the European Union’s Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP).
- Maintaining and enhancing Malta’s relations with international organizations, including the United Nations and its Agencies and the Commonwealth.
- Through Malta’s Overseas Development Policy, addressing poverty through development, targeting specific action areas such as climate change, ICT for development and democratization.
- Participating in election observations missions organised by the European Union and other international organisations.
- Ensuring active participation in regional fora and initiatives of direct relevance to the Mediterranean region, namely the Euro-Mediterranean Process, the European Neighbourhood Policy, the Western Mediterranean (5+5) Dialogue and the Med Forum.
- Promoting the enhancement of dialogue between the EU and the Arab League through concrete initiatives.See more