Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment (Finland)
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment (MEAE) is part of the Government. MEAE creates the conditions for economically, socially and ecologically sustainable growth. It comes from skilled people in high-quality jobs, productivity growth and increasing employment.
The following areas fall within the ministry’s remit:
- industrial policy
- innovation and technology policy, internationalisation of enterprises and technical safety
- functionality of markets, promotion of competition and consumer policy
- employment and unemployment matters, as well as public employment services
- work-environment issues, non-discrimination in working life, collective agreements and arbitration of industrial disputes
- regional development and co-operation areas of the regional councils
- energy policy and coordination of the preparation and implementation of the climate policy at national level
- overall administrative steering of Centres for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment and
integration of immigrants
- non-military service
As part of the Government, the ministry implements the Government Programme, drafts legislation, monitors and develops issues falling within its remit and steers the agencies in its administrative branch.
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment has two ministers: the Minister of Economic Affairs and the Minister of Employment.
Tasks and objectives
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment promotes sustainable growth.
The objective of economic and business policy is to effectively regulate the labour market and businesses, and to provide financing and services for matching jobs with jobseekers. Market entry is made easy, and the best companies enjoy good growth opportunities.
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment aims to build confidence by creating well-functioning markets and wise regulation. Well-functioning markets and fair competition benefit both consumers and companies. Fair competition results in higher quality products and services, and in more productive companies.
The objective of energy policy is to consistently move towards a sustainable climate-neutral society, and to promote new energy solutions and their worldwide export.
The regional policy measures adopted by the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment take account of regional strengths and conditions, thereby supporting renewal.
Integration policy priorities include support to immigrants to bolster social cohesion and settling as local residents, well-organised and controlled placement of immigrants granted international protection in municipalities, and good cooperation between the state and municipalities.See more