Ministry of Gender Equality, Child Development and Family Welfare (Mauritius)
About the Ministry
The Ministry of Gender Equality, Child Development and Family Welfare is entrusted with the responsibility to design and implement social policies and programmes, which promote women empowerment, child development, family welfare as well as welfare of the community. Accordingly, actions of the Ministry are geared towards having in the right conditions and environment for the harmonious development of the Mauritian children, women and their families.
The main objectives of the Ministry are:
- To promote and defend women's rights as human rights, work for the elimination of all forms of discrimination against women and ensure that legal measures are taken to promote equality between men and women.
- To implement gender-sensitive macroeconomic policies and strategies, including those related to poverty alleviation.
- To promote and defend children’s rights as human rights, work for the elimination of all forms of violence and discrimination against children defined as being the age bracket of 0-18 years and ensure that legal measures are taken & mechanisms are put into place to promote safety and security of children
- To promote the development and welfare of children from the very tender age in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), to promote family welfare and to combat gender based violence.
- To promote the welfare and empowerment of citizens through community-based programmes for an inclusive society.
They undertake to design and implement policies and programmes geared towards promoting gender equality and equity, protecting the rights of children and enhancing their overall development and promoting the welfare of families.
Their vision is to have a society free from violence and discrimination based on sex, where the fundamental rights of women and children are respected and where human values within the family and the civil society are cherished.See more