After 1910, a Higher Education Office and a Libraries Inspection Office were established. During the War of National Liberation, there were two ministries of education. The Ministry of Education of the Turkish Grand National Assembly was in Ankara, the Ministry of Education of the Ottoman Government in Istanbul. After the Turkish Grand National Assembly was opened on 23 April 1920 a "Ministry of Education" was established by Law no. 3 of 2 May 1920 as one of the eleven ministries working under the Council of Ministers. In 1920 the Ministry of Education consisted of the following five units:
The Program Committee
Department of Primary Education
Department of Secondary Education
Office of Turkish Antiquities
Registry and Statistics Office
In 1923, the Ministry of Education in Istanbul was closed and the Ministry of Education in Ankara was expanded and reorganized to include eleven units. In the Republican period, organization of the Ministry of Education gradually developed and was reorganized with the Law no 2287 issued in 1933.
The Ministry of National Education; has been organized under the following names:
"The Ministry of Education" from 1923 to December 27, 1935,
"The Ministry of Culture" from December 28, 1935 to September 21st 1941,
"The Ministry of Education" from September 22, 1941 to October 9, 1946,
"The Ministry of National Education" after October 10, 1946,
"The Ministry of Education" after 1950,
"The Ministry of National Education" after May 27, 1960,
"The Ministry of National Education, Youth and Sports" after 1983,
"The Ministry of National Education" after 1989.