Missionary Sisters of Precious Blood
They, the Missionary Sisters of the Precious Blood, CPS (the abbreviation CPS stands for Congregatio Pretiosi Sanguinis in Latin), are an international congregation of women, founded by the Trappist Abbot Francis Pfanner in Mariannhill, near Durban, South Africa, on the 8th of September 1885.
With the title Missionary Sisters of the Precious Blood, their founder wanted us totally committed to the service of Christ’s redeeming love, to make the Precious Blood of Christ fruitful for all (Const. 102). Their title is their mandate: to live the Paschal Mystery and to witness to the redeeming love of Christ.
Mission to and among people and readiness to be sent wherever the need is greatest are essential elements of their life and spirit. Their legacy received from Abbot Francis Pfanner is imbued with the Benedictine spirit. This contemplative-missionary heritage of their Founder inspires us CPS worldwide to commit themselves to fulfill their religious and missionary calling of ora et labora, pray and work. The challenges of today speak to the heart of this their double vocation and call us beyond the familiar to new ways of being and witnessing in the world and for the world. It also means to stand with Mary under the cross in ready attentiveness to God’s word.
From simple beginnings in South Africa over 130 years ago, their Congregation grew and expanded to other countries. In response to the needs of the times, they, the Missionary Sisters of the Precious Blood, continue to begin new missions.
Since their foundation in 1885, they Missionary Sisters of the Precious Blood guided and accompanied seven African Sisters’ Congregations till they became autonomous.See more