MT Lab is an innovation hub, dedicated to strengthening entrepreneurship and innovation specifically in the tourism, culture and entertainment sectors. This action is based on four pillars:
- A year of incubation for companies that have the potential to innovate in these sectors;
- A program of animation, training and conferences with industry leaders;
- A co-working space for collaboration between startups and their partners;
- Exclusive demo days where the incubated companies and other relevant startups are invited to present their business solutions to each team of their partners.
In Montréal and the province of Québec, tourism is a significant economic driver. The MTLab aims to help the sector reinvent itself.
In 2012, the City of Paris created an urban tourism incubator, the Welcome City Lab (WCL), through Paris & Co.
After a visit in 2015, the UQAM’s École des sciences de la gestion (ESG), the City of Montréal, and Tourisme Montréal, have decided to collaborate in establishing the Montréal chapter of the Welcome City Lab, the MTLab
MT Lab founding partner are l’Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM) et son École des sciences de la gestion (ESG UQAM), and Montreal Tourism. With the financial participation of Montréal and the Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l’Occupation du territoire MT Lab will be located in the heart of the Montréal’s Entertainment District.
This project is a model of synergy between academic, entrepreneurial and tourism sectors.
MT Lab host fledgling entrepreneurs from Quebec, Canada and abroad in the tourism, transport, festivals, culture, hotel, restaurant and entertainment sectors. It aims :
- To sustain entrepreneurship and innovation in the tourism, culture and entertaining sectors;
- To make Quebec’s tourism, culture and entertaining and the innovation ecosystem collaborate together;
- To strengthen Montréal and Québec’s creativity and innovation leadership.
They would like to actively confront the following challenges faced by start-ups:
- The obstacles resulting from isolation
- The difficulty of meeting decision-makers from major groups
- The lack of understanding and support
- The complexity of launching a product and/or service internationally
- The lack of knowledge about the tourism industry and opportunities it presents
- The administrative, legal, and fiscal complexities associated with starting and growing a business
Where is MT Lab