The general mission of NECDP is to coordinate all interventions that support adequate early childhood development for children from their conception to six (6) years of age as outlined in the Early Childhood Development Policy.
The NECDP is therefore tasked to carry out the responsibilities below:
1. In close collaboration and coordination of all sectors playing a role in Early Childhood Development, specifically NECDP is responsible for:
a) increasing children’s preparedness to the primary school environment;
b) promoting optimal child development;
c) enhancing positive parenting and community participation in child protection;
d) reducing malnutrition and stunted growth among young children;
e) eliminating physical, moral, and psychological abuse of young children;
f) enhancing equal access to early childhood development services by children with special needs;
2. Take the lead at the development of the National Early Childhood Development strategic planning process through a holistic and all stakeholders-inclusive process
3. Mobilize resources for the attainment of the goals set in the early child development strategic plan
4. Ensure the implementation of all interventions as set in the early child development strategic plan, by closely collaborating with all involved sectors
5. Ensure the alignment by all stakeholders to the National Early Childhood development strategic plan, and its monitoring and evaluation plan
6. Ensure that all stakeholders implementing early childhood development services meet quality standards as set in the National Early Childhood Development minimum standards.