National Public Health Institute of Liberia (NPHIL)
The National Public Health Institute of Liberia is a Center of Excellence for better health outcomes for Liberians through a strong health system.
The recent unprecedented Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) epidemic in West Africa highlighted the need for the establishment of a public health institute in Liberia, which supports national health delivery services. With the plan to revitalize health services in the country, it was essential for the Government of Liberia to establish a National Public Health Institute of Liberia (NPHIL). In collaboration with the Ministry of Health, NPHIL strengthens existing infection prevention and control efforts, laboratories, surveillance, infectious disease control, public health capacity building, response to outbreaks, and monitoring of diseases with epidemic potential.
Goals of NPHIL
- Contribute to the development and sustainability of the public health workforce
- Develop, enhance, and expand the surveillance and response platform
- Develop and strengthen the laboratory system and public health diagnostics
- Develop, enhance, and expand process and structures to protect environmental and occupation health
- Expand, conduct, and coordinate public health and medical research to inform Liberian public health policies
- Ensure sustainable financing and operations of the NPHILSee more