National Research Foundation (NRF) - Singapore
The National Research Foundation (NRF), set up on 1 January 2006, is a department within the Prime Minister's Office. The NRF sets the national direction for research and development (R&D) by developing policies, plans and strategies for research, innovation and enterprise. It also funds strategic initiatives and builds up R&D capabilities by nurturing research talent. The NRF aims to transform Singapore into a vibrant R&D hub that contributes towards a knowledge-intensive, innovative and entrepreneurial economy; and make Singapore a magnet for excellence in science and innovation.
Singapore as a vibrant science & technology hub, with R&D contributing significantly to a knowledge-intensive, innovative and entrepreneurial economy.
The National Research Foundation (NRF) sets the national direction for R&D by:
- Developing policies, plans and strategies for research, innovation and enterprise;
- Funding initiatives that strengthen research and scientific capabilities, and achieve economic and national impact;
- Building up R&D capabilities and capacities through nurturing our people and attracting foreign researchers and scientists; and
- Coordinating the research agenda of different agencies to transform Singapore into a knowledge-intensive, innovative and entrepreneurial economy.
NRF is the secretariat to the Research, Innovation and Enterprise Council (RIEC), chaired by the Prime Minister. Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Finance Mr Heng Swee Keat is the Chairman of the NRF Board.
- Team-oriented - we work together as a team internally and with external parties to establish win-win relationships.
- Impact-driven - we look for long-term sustainable benefits and high added value in the projects we initiate.
- Principle-led - we follow the best practices worldwide and are consistent in applying such principles.
- System-centric - we adopt a big picture view and leverage on the linkages among different entities.
The plan to grow Singapore's economy through research, innovation & enterprise is underpinned by our strategic thrusts of:
- Strengthening foundational capabilities;
- Developing talent;
- Driving research excellence through competition; and
- Ensuring impact through public-private collaborations, industry-oriented R&D, and commercialisation.See more