• Organization TypeGovernment

Nigerian Geological Survey Agency (NGSA)

About The Nigerian Geological Survey Agency is a parastatal under the Ministry of Mines and Steel Development. The Agency has the statutory role of providing relevant and up-to-date geosciences information necessary for economic development of Nigeria. This is accomplished through a systematic process of gathering, collating, assessment and dissemination of all information related to rocks, minerals and groundwater resources of the country. The Agency was established by Act of the National Assembly via a bill of May 22, 2006. Its earliest precursor the Geological Survey of Nigeria (GSN), was set up in 1919 following the disbandment of the Mineral Survey of Northern and Southern Nigeria in 1909 and 1913, respectively.   HISTORY Geological Survey of Nigeria evolved as far back as 1903 and 1904 when the Mineral Surveys of the Southern and Northern Protectorates of Nigeria were established respectively by the British Secretary of State for the Colonies. The Mineral Surveys were to carry out broad reconnaissance survey of mineral resources of the Protectorates for use as raw materials for industries in Britain. In the course of their activities, mineral deposits such as Tinstone, Columbite, Bitumen, Lead-zinc, Ores, Coal, Pottery Clays, Iron Ore, Gold, and Marble etc were discovered in various parts of the country. The Geological Survey of Nigeria (GSN) came into existence in 1919 as an autonomous body. By 1930, the first permanent headquarters of GSN was set up in Kaduna with a satellite office in Jos in order to speed up its activities in the tin fields. While Kaduna remained the field headquarters, the administrative headquarters was moved to Lagos-the nation’s capital then. The Minerals Ordinance of 1946 and the Cola Ordinance No. 29 of 1950 provided the legal basis for the development of Solid Mineral in Nigeria. Immediately after independence, the autonomy of Geological Survey of Nigeria was withdrawn and it became administered since then as a Department under the supervision of various Ministries. The Department first came under the Ministry of Mines, Power and Lagos Affairs and later at various times under Ministry of Mines and Power- up to 1984 Ministry of Mines, Power and Steel 1984 -1989; and  Ministry of Petroleum and Mineral Resources, 1989 -1995
See more

Company Offices

  • (headquarters)
  • 31 Shettima A. Munguno Crescent, Behind Julius Berger Headqaurter. Utako District, PMB 616 Garki Abuja. Nigeria.